Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You made me go to Wikipedia, Peter. I found: Elgar: 1857-1934, Strauss: 1864-1949 (birth and death dates), a seven years difference. In the South is from 1904 (I am listening to it). One would say the older influences the younger but then Strauss wrote the Don Juan when he was only 24.

I understand the popularity of Elgar's cello concerto is due to Pablo Casals who played it when it was almost unknown (at least in the world, I don't know in England... Yes, precisely in England!)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Hello Enrique - doing well thank you. Listening to a lot of Elgar lately - one work of his I wasn't that familiar with was the concert overture 'In the South' which I'm really enjoying. Glorious ending from 19' - strong influence of Richard Strauss in this work.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ZKmVHfgac[/YOUTUBE]
      A couple of weeks ago Exploring Music featured Elgar for the entire week. I was able to catch some of the program during the week and did enjoy his music quite a bit.

Comment

Of course I could not let St. Patrick's Day go by without listening to some of Beethoven's Irish songs! WoO 152 right now.

Comment

And why of course? I thought you Chris were from the States.

Comment

True, but there are more people with Irish heritage in the United States than there are in Ireland, and St. Patrick's Day is always celebrated here.

Comment

Ahhh!

Comment

Beethoven: Piano concerto #2 in B-flat major, Daniel Baremboim conducting, M.Argerich piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_5FQh2bXo8

Am I wrong or is Baremboim conducting without a score?
                Last edited by Enrique; 03-23-2020, 12:06 AM.

Comment

In these dark times what could be more appropriate than this lovely youthful work by the 14 year old Mendelssohn full of optimism and hope?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvoOoFQBxc[/YOUTUBE]
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Exploring Music has focused on some of Mendelssohn's music earlier this week. Yesterday they had some samples from Chopin and Schumann. Tonight will be Wagner.

Comment

A good choice on the Mendelssohn concerto, Peter!

Comment

As it's the 26th March, some Beethoven. I just turned on the radio and the third piano concerto was playing.

Comment

Ravel: Gaspar de la nuit.

Comment

Wagner: Flying Dutchman Overture and selections from The Ring of the Nibelung.

Comment

Listening now.......

Beethoven: The Eroica Symphony
                              All in a Chord
                              Episode 1 of 5

Ivan Hewett examines a chord from Beethoven's Eroica Symphony to test the idea that harmony is a reflection of history. He's joined by

Beethoven expert John Suchet and writer and historian Professor Andrew Roberts who has special interest in Napoleon.

Music is never created in isolation - it's conceived in relation to what's going on around a composer in terms of personal and historical events, new technologies, new ideas and artistic endeavours in other fields. In this series, Ivan Hewett is looking at five very different chords which amply demonstrate the concept that harmony is a reflection of history.

Each programme is a bite size portion of rich musical and historical investigation - and each chord has had far reaching influence on other music and is emblematic of its era.

Beethoven's Eroica Chord of 1804 is the climax of the composer's attempt to capture the fervour of revolution. Strident trumpets scream out above the orchestra, forming a clash of harmony that no-one could mistake as anything but a great musical rallying cry for freedom.

Ivan Hewett is a writer on music for the Daily Telegraph, broadcaster on BBC Radio 3, and teacher at the Royal College of Music.

Producer: Rosie Boulton
                              A Monty Funk production for BBC Radio 4.

Show less

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087ps60

You can catch it again on Radio 4 extra, at 02:15, early hours of the morning, but then I know you are all keen.
                              Last edited by Megan; 03-30-2020, 01:26 PM.
                              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Bach Suites for Solo Cello
                                Pablo Casals (of course)
                                Zevy

Comment

Working...
                                X