This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Not so remarkable when you consider the timescale for Mozart's last 3 symphonies or Schubert's last 3 sonatas!
    Not as remarkable as Beethoven's Missa Solemnis which took only four years.
    And don't forget Brahms's first symphony - fourteen years!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Not as remarkable as Beethoven's Missa Solemnis which took only four years.
      Or 26 years for Wagner's 'Ring' cycle!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Stravinsky: Septet (1954).

Comment

Mozart: Serenades for wind instruments. Wow!
          Zevy

Comment

Where did you read that? Or who told you? Can you produce a source, Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
              Where did you read that? Or who told you? Can you produce a source, Michael?
              It's fairly well known that Brahms was intimidated by the Beethoven symphonies and it took him a long time to finish his first one. In fact, if you go back to his first sketches, it's more like twenty years!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._1_(Brahms)

(There's something funny about the above link - so just type into Google: "Brahms Symphony No. 1 Wikipedia")

Last edited by Michael; 09-09-2019, 12:48 AM.

Comment

It's fairly well known that Brahms was intimidated by the Beethoven symphonies and it took him a long time to finish his first one.
                I knew that. But during those 14 years he must have worked on other projects too. Otherwise that number is unacceptable.

Comment

A lovely arrangement of the 2nd movt of Mendelssohn's piano trio in D minor.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Tb9Y63Cyw[/YOUTUBE]
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta.
                    This is well above the Concerto for Orchestra. The 1st movement little by little builds up an ambient of pure madness. It's tremendous!

Comment

Ive been listening to Bill McLaughlin's Exploring Music. Last night he featured Kodaly's Hary Janos Suite and Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra.

Comment

In Exploring Music they've been playing excerpts from Bartok's The Wooden Prince and the Miraculous Mandarin, Stravinsky's The Fairy's Kiss, and Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. That was very enjoyable!

Comment

I listen to this one every New Year's Eve and Day, but I think it is especially appropriate at the start of Beethoven's 250th:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw9__By5F-E[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Very appropriate and I can never think of it!

Comment

Beethoven: Piano concerto no.1, Apor Szüts piano.

I think this is one of the more marvelous things I've ever heard in my life. I explicitly refer to the first movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                                Beethoven: Piano concerto no.1, Apor Szüts piano.

I think this is one of the more marvelous things I've ever heard in my life. I explicitly refer to the first movement.
                                I quite like the finale, too. Once it gets in my head it takes awhile for it to leave, but with this work I don't mind a bit!

Comment

Working...
                                X