This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I just had that complete box of the Haydn symphonies out last night, which I believe I bought on your recommendation. I'm still enjoying it!
    Excellent isn't it and what a remarkable achievement those symphonies are.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven: Complete Overtures
      Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, Kurt Masur
      Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas, Op. 2 Nos. 1-3
        Maurizio Zaccaria

Taken at a heck of a speed!
        Fidelio

Comment

Beethoven piano concerto no.4 Murray Perahia / Bernard Haitink - Concertgebouw.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven: The Creatures of Prometheus, (piano version) Hess 90
            Warren Lee
            Fidelio

Comment

n the Hieronymuss Bosch's "The Garden of Earthly Delights" painting (1480-1490 circa) there is some music written on the butt of one of the characters in hell.
              But how sounds this 15th Century melody?
              Here is how is the 600-years-old butt music from hell sounds:
              https://youtube/OnrICy3Bc2U
              Enchanting!
              Arranged in the style of the period (the music score on the butt is just a short riff intended to be repeated) and played on Lute, Harp, and Hurdy-Gurdy by James Spalink.
              The melody is based on the transcription by Amelia Hamrick.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrICy3Bc2U&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]
              Last edited by Megan; 08-15-2019, 07:38 PM.
              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

The Hammerklavier sonata has dragged me back in, and I've been listening to several different recordings of it. I think Brendel's last is still my favorite (which was live!).

Comment

Charming symphony no.1 by Gounod.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Tkc_Dqra4[/YOUTUBE]
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Driving to and from DC I was treated to the local FM station playing Beethoven Symphony #2 Bernstein/NYP.
                    That was sandwiched between Alfred Bendel/Mackerras playing 6 of Mozart's Piano Concerti. It made for a good ride!
                    Zevy

Comment

Last night on BBC 4 Stephen Hough playing Queen Victoria's Erard piano (on loan from Buckingham palace) at the proms in a performance of Mendelssohn's piano concerto no.1. This was followed by 5 songs written by Prince Albert, then Mendelssohn's 'Scottish' symphony.

Here's the link to BBC iplayer for those of you who can access it. The concerto starts at 24'30. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...orias-playlist
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        Charming symphony no.1 by Gounod.
                        An opera composer who writes a symphony. Bizet was another and Wagner was about to write one when he passed away.

Haydn: Symphony no.48 "Maria Theresa", Muti.
                        Brahms: Violin concerto - Oistrakh / Klemperer
                        Last edited by Enrique; 08-20-2019, 02:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                          An opera composer who writes a symphony. Bizet was another and Wagner was about to write one when he passed away.

Haydn: Symphony no.48 "Maria Theresa", Muti.
                          Brahms: Violin concerto - Oistrakh / Klemperer
                          Gounod's first symphony was the inspiration for his student Bizet's symphony in C major. Wagner wrote 2 symphonies when he was just nineteen. The one in E Major was discontinued after he completed two movements. Joachim Raff compiled the lost score of this symphony. His C Major Symphony was composed in a space of just six weeks in 1832.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                            ... Wagner... His C Major Symphony was composed in a space of just six weeks in 1832.
                            Really, in 6 weeks??? I just love this symphony, each movement (!!) - but especially the wonderful slow movement in a-minor! Why didn't Wagner promote it more?
                            I love this symphony more than many of his operas, which usually have some great parts (Lohengrin and Tannhäuser overures beeing my favourites) but with much boredom in beetween ...

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
                              Really, in 6 weeks??? I just love this symphony, each movement (!!) - but especially the wonderful slow movement in a-minor! Why didn't Wagner promote it more?
                              I love this symphony more than many of his operas, which usually have some great parts (Lohengrin and Tannhäuser overures beeing my favourites) but with much boredom in beetween ...
                              Not so remarkable when you consider the timescale for Mozart's last 3 symphonies or Schubert's last 3 sonatas!
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven: Wind Music on Original Instruments
                                Wind Octet in E-Flat Major, Op. 103
                                Sextet in E-Flat Major, Op. 71
                                Fidelio

Comment

Working...
                                X