Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm listening to some Scarlatti sonatas, No. 479 at the moment. Just the thing to cheer one up!

Comment

I'm hooked on Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4... again. I always say, "I'll just listen to the beginning again." And then the piece is over.

Comment

I have rediscovered Beethoven`s 4th symphony, in particular the second mvt. The end of that movement is just so clever.

Also, I recently have been listening over and over again to the last 2 minutes of the Agnus Dei of the Missa solemnis. Sooooo beautiful, especially the very last orchestral tutti.

Comment

I've loosely kept an eye on the musical development of young Alma Deutscher since she was little more than a toddler. Just the other day I noticed a video of a Dec 2019 Carnegie Hall performance of one of her orchestral works. She, now in her early teens, gives a brief introductory speech before the music begins. Most impressive. The transition from the work's 'chaotic' opening sounds into its first melody makes my eyes mist. (I get a kick of her 'warning' us not to be scared by the 'ugly' opening. Compared to a decent portion of modern 'serious' music her opening isn't all that jarring.)
          [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0xMpLXQNvM[/YOUTUBE]
          Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 08-16-2020, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulD View Post
            I have rediscovered Beethoven`s 4th symphony, in particular the second mvt. The end of that movement is just so clever.

Also, I recently have been listening over and over again to the last 2 minutes of the Agnus Dei of the Missa solemnis. Sooooo beautiful, especially the very last orchestral tutti.
            You made me go to youtube and listen to those two minutes. Yes, you are right. It is a great moment. But then youtube proceeded to the Sanctus (though of course it is Santus, Agnus Dei). These opening bars have, for me, another name: sublime.
            Last edited by Enrique; 08-16-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Tonight and tomorrow night Exploring Music will be airing the Missa Solemnis (Klemperer). Until just recently I did not know that Colonel Klink (Wilhelm Klemperer) of Hogan's Heroe's was Otto's brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                Tonight and tomorrow night Exploring Music will be airing the Missa Solemnis (Klemperer). Until just recently I did not know that Colonel Klink (Wilhelm Klemperer) of Hogan's Heroe's was Otto's brother.
                Am I wrong or Hogan's Heroes ended in 1971? Any way to receive the transmission from Buenos Aires?

Comment

No, Otto's son!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    No, Otto's son!
                    Ah, you beat me to it!!
                    Zevy

Comment

Last night I listened to the last 2 sections of the Missa Solemnis. Klemperor's performance is outstanding, although I prefer Bernstein's (from the early '60's). The next three nights with Exploring Music will feature the final quartets.

Comment

Last night I listened to the last 2 sections of the Missa Solemnis. Klemperor's performance is outstanding, although I prefer Bernstein's (from the early '60's). The next three nights with Exploring Music will feature the final quartets.
                        Klemperor's 1965 recording for EMI of this was my first introduction to the Missa and the one I still cherish the most.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                          Klemperor's 1965 recording for EMI of this was my first introduction to the Missa and the one I still cherish the most.
                          It was mine too. It was a Vox record (mono).

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Make that four, bartender!

Comment

That is the recording they used. I found it very moving.

Comment

Working...
                                X