X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anton Reicha

An interesting article on one of Beethoven's friends:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/07/a...beethoven.html

Thanks for the heads-up on that one. I can't remember off-hand but wasn't Reicha the guy that Beethoven wrote to saying to ignore his first Op.18 (N° 1) attempt, that he had now worked out how to "correctly" write a string quartet? Something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
      Thanks for the heads-up on that one. I can't remember off-hand but wasn't Reicha the guy that Beethoven wrote to saying to ignore his first Op.18 (N° 1) attempt, that he had now worked out how to "correctly" write a string quartet? Something like that?
      I think it was karl Amenda if my memory is still intact!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        I think it was karl Amenda if my memory is still in tact!
        What is "tact" and how can I keep my memory in it? I could use all the help I can get!

Anyway, the Amenda version of the F major quartet makes a fascinating listen. The changes are most noticeable in the first movement and only Beethoven would think of them.
        If it just came down to us in this original version it would still be the crown of Opus 18 and we wouldn't know any better.
        I haven't been able to find it on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          What is "tact" and how can I keep my memory in it? I could use all the help I can get!

Anyway, the Amenda version of the F major quartet makes a fascinating listen. The changes are most noticeable in the first movement and only Beethoven would think of them.
          If it just came down to us in this original version it would still be the crown of Opus 18 and we wouldn't know any better.
          Yes, I agree. I have it on a CD somewhere, and I really should give it another listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Just seeing who would spot it first as Captain Manwairing would say! Error corrected.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
            X