Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
    A sing-song or a punch up?
    It would probably be a punch up if we attempted to use the Beethovenhaus collection!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      It would probably be a punch up if we attempted to use the Beethovenhaus collection!
      They don't even allow anyone to take photos in there but my son sneaked a few on our last visit.
      However, any hopes I had of making off with the Heiligenstadt Testament were dashed.

Comment

Have already booked a few London concerts in 2020 and a new production of Leonore at the Theater an der Wien in March 2020. So much to look forward to. Even considering another Beethoven tattoo!
        Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Great ideas share here. As I live only 2 hours away from Bonn I surely would love to come, not necessarily in cold winter...
          Gerd

Comment

Does anyone have an idea on how to make this actually happen? Me, too, I only live 2-1.5 hours away by car (Antwerp)

Comment

The first thing is to decide on dates which can be done in this thread. I suppose the arguments against being in Bonn on 16th Dec 2020 is that it will be very busy, very cold and probably more expensive. I am open to suggestions.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

More 2020 shenanigans - 80 Beethovens!

https://www.thestrad.com/news/beetho...n/8727.article

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  More 2020 shenanigans - 80 Beethovens!

https://www.thestrad.com/news/beetho...n/8727.article
                  Isn't this taking place in 2019 though?
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Isn't this taking place in 2019 though?

Oh, right! I still think it's a foretaste of 2020 as Bonn is gearing itself up in many ways.

Comment

I am not sure I follow Peter's view on this. It is no colder in Bonn (or hardly) than in the UK, and surely we are not afraid of that, considering any events will be inside? And this site is all about Beethoven, so I don't see a major objection to do something around the birthday of the man we so admire.....

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
                        I am not sure I follow Peter's view on this. It is no colder in Bonn (or hardly) than in the UK, and surely we are not afraid of that, considering any events will be inside? And this site is all about Beethoven, so I don't see a major objection to do something around the birthday of the man we so admire.....
                        Well I'm from the south of UK and looking at the temperatures Bonn is definitely colder than here! Still I'm happy to go for the actual date if other people here would like to meet then only I would imagine things would need to be booked up quite a bit in advance.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Flights & accommodation may be cheaper outside the Christmas holiday season.
                          Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

I tried to keep a straight face while reading this:

https://www.thestrad.com/news/700-sm...y/8796.article

Comment

We don't seem able to come up with any real proposals for dates. But of course, that may be linked to the fact that we do not really have a plan for what to do when we get there.... What would be on that menu? Here are some ideas (not necessarily in order of preference):
                              1. A visit to the Beethoven Haus would be sort of mandatory.... I have been there a couple of times, but they've renovated the place and of course, I have no objection on returning there.
                              2. A concert? One could look at the programme in Bonn or in Cologne (which is just down the road and has a great concert hall very close to the station).
                              3. A trip to Drachenfels? I must admit that might not be a very attractive proposition in the winter.
                              4. A tour around town and the other Beethoven-linked places (his mother's grave?).
                              5. Not sure if it would make sense to go to the Electoral Palace?
                              Feel free to shoot down any of the above, to amend or offer other ideas...

One would have to consider the length of this. I suppose from the further away one comes, the longer one would want to stay. I would not make it longer than either 2 or 3 days. And leave room for each one of us to do their own thing as well.

To determine dates, one could use either available concerts or 'long weekends'. Quite apart from my original suggestion to stick to his birthday.

It may make sense to get a feeling of how many of us are really interested in this idea at all. If there's just a couple, it may make sense to proceed outside this framework, to avoid 'white noise' going back and forth on the forum.

Albert

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
                                We don't seem able to come up with any real proposals for dates. But of course, that may be linked to the fact that we do not really have a plan for what to do when we get there.... What would be on that menu? Here are some ideas (not necessarily in order of preference):
                                1. A visit to the Beethoven Haus would be sort of mandatory.... I have been there a couple of times, but they've renovated the place and of course, I have no objection on returning there.
                                2. A concert? One could look at the programme in Bonn or in Cologne (which is just down the road and has a great concert hall very close to the station).
                                3. A trip to Drachenfels? I must admit that might not be a very attractive proposition in the winter.
                                4. A tour around town and the other Beethoven-linked places (his mother's grave?).
                                5. Not sure if it would make sense to go to the Electoral Palace?
                                Feel free to shoot down any of the above, to amend or offer other ideas...

One would have to consider the length of this. I suppose from the further away one comes, the longer one would want to stay. I would not make it longer than either 2 or 3 days. And leave room for each one of us to do their own thing as well.

To determine dates, one could use either available concerts or 'long weekends'. Quite apart from my original suggestion to stick to his birthday.

It may make sense to get a feeling of how many of us are really interested in this idea at all. If there's just a couple, it may make sense to proceed outside this framework, to avoid 'white noise' going back and forth on the forum.

Albert
                                Well I'm certainly up for it and I'm flexible with dates though of course 16th Dec isn't really negotiable!
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X