Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just listening to no.18. Mozart of course. I have the 27 by Vladimir Askenazy, superb recordings.
    Last edited by Enrique; 12-09-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Mozart piano quartets.
      Quite an unusual medium. Mozart's works are usually regarded as the "locus classicus" in this particular genre.

However, I hate to bring up Beethoven again - (actually, I don't. It's the bloody Beethoven Reference Site after all ) but I think it has been generally accepted that Beethoven's three piano quartets actually predated Mozart's by a very short period.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that Beethoven's juvenilia are as good as Mozart's works in this area (especially as Beethoven swiped some themes from a Mozart violin sonata) but are there grounds for assuming that our friend invented the medium?

Probably not. Musicologists will no doubt find many precedents. And Mozart certainly never heard Beethoven's early work.
      Beethoven can't win them all!

Last edited by Michael; 12-09-2018, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Quite an unusual medium. Mozart's works are usually regarded as the "locus classicus" in this particular genre.

However, I hate to bring up Beethoven again - (actually, I don't. It's the bloody Beethoven Reference Site after all ) but I think it has been generally accepted that Beethoven's three piano quartets actually predated Mozart's by a very short period.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that Beethoven's juvenilia are as good as Mozart's works in this area (especially as Beethoven swiped some themes from a Mozart violin sonata) but are there grounds for assuming that our friend invented the medium?

Probably not. Musicologists will no doubt find many precedents. And Mozart certainly never heard Beethoven's early work.
        Beethoven can't win them all!

I don't know of any earlier piano quartets and it's remarkable that Mozart and Beethoven independently wrote them at the same time 1785 - one of those musical coincidences that also occurred a century earlier in 1685 producing Bach, Handel and Scarlatti!

Listening to Schubert's 9th Symphony in C, the same key as Mozart's last symphony and Beethoven's 1st
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

That symphony is incredibly long and the last movement it seems it will never end. Schumann had something to say about this symphony (celestial lengths).

Comment

Beethoven Symphony Nos 1 & 2 Arturo Toscanini, Nbc Symphony Orchestra
            Beethoven Symphony No. 7 Gewandhausorchester Leipzig and Riccardo Chailly
            Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

New Beethoven Recording: Piano Concertos 1-5
              Mitsuko Uchida (piano)
              Berliner Philharmoniker, Sir Simon Rattle
              Recordings from February 2010 from the Philharmonie Berlin
              Fidelio

Comment

Kalinnikov / Symphony No. 1 in G Minor

I just got to know this Russian symphony with some incredible good first 2 movements!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EdnO6vEaHk

I adore the second theme of the 1st movement and the fugato in the development, ... and the slow movement has a unique beauty ...
                Last edited by gprengel; 12-14-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
                  Kalinnikov / Symphony No. 1 in G Minor

I just got to know this Russian symphony with some incredible good first 2 movements!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EdnO6vEaHk

I adore the second theme of the 1st movement and the fugato in the development, ... and the slow movement has a unique beauty ...
                  Thanks for that, a really great find, I thought the whole work was excellent with a rousing finale. Should be more widely known.
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

I got to talking with some people about Beethoven's Scottish songs and flute music at a party last night, and it of course lead me to revisit the sets of variations Opp. 105 and 107. Delightful music!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      I got to talking with some people about Beethoven's Scottish songs and flute music at a party last night, and it of course lead me to revisit the sets of variations Opp. 105 and 107. Delightful music!
                      Probably the most neglected works of Beethoven's output.
                      I absolutely love the folksong arrangements. I think Beethoven was a bit condescending about those tunes when they were first presented to him, but he gradually realized the beauty of those songs.

I think the third movement of Opus 71, No. 2 is an absolutely beautiful tune - which sounds really Irish. (But I'm Irish and probably biased).

Also, the variations are wondrous. The usual recordings feature flute and piano but there are a few versions with violin and piano. Middle to Late Beethoven cannot be ignored!

Maybe it's a bit far-fetched, but I think the melodious quality of the late quartets could have been "engineered" by his exposure to the folksongs.

(Especially the ones that mention my home town "Killarney"?)

Nah! Ignore the last sentence. Too much wine. Beethoven's failing.

Last edited by Michael; 12-17-2018, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        The usual recordings feature flute and piano but there are a few versions with violin and piano.
                        And you know me - I've sought out those recordings so I could have both versions!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          And you know me - I've sought out those recordings so I could have both versions!

Comment

Beethoven: The Complete Piano Sonatas by Alfred Brendel, Philips, 2009

Never tire of these.
                            Fidelio

Comment

Mozart Complete Piano Concertos/Geza Anda
                              I just went through the set; now I'm on to the complete set with Brendel/Marriner
                              Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
                                Mozart Complete Piano Concertos/Geza Anda
                                I just went through the set; now I'm on to the complete set with Brendel/Marriner
                                I love the Brendel/Marriner set!

Comment

Working...
                                X