X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozart piano quartets.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven Violin Concerto, Jascha Heifetz, NBC Symphony Orchestra, Toscanini 1940.

Don't care for the soloist's cadenza but the playing is superb despite the odd hiss and crackle.
      Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Mozart, piano quartet K.478.

Somebody in this thread was listening to this work (I don't remember who). I must thank him because for me it's been a discovery. Actually I had it archived in my head but from a long time ago.

Brahms, violin concerto.
        Last edited by Enrique; 12-06-2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I am listening to Joan of Arc operas and oratorios:

Verdi: Giovanna d'Arco (have on CD)
          Tchaikovsky: Maid of Orleans (Streaming, want a copy)
          Honegger: Jeanne D'Arc Au Bucher (have on order)
          Braunfels: Jeanne D'arc (yet to listen, want a copy)

Also reading two books on Joan, a remarkable lady.

Here is the streaming link to the best recording of Maid of Orleans out there, and I think this is my favorite Joan of Arc opera.
          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
          --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
            Mozart, piano quartet K.478.

Somebody in this thread was listening to this work (I don't remember who). I must thank him because for me it's been a discovery. Actually I had it archived in my head but from a long time ago.
            I stand accused [10-22-2018, 10:24 PM
            Mozart Piano Quartets P. Serkin/A Schneider/M Tree/D Soyer.]
            There was a joke years ago by someone putting the words "Answer the Telephone" to the opening theme.
            Zevy

Comment

And the syllables matched the notes (time values) one by one?

Comment

Mozart piano concerto no. 22

A real discovery for me. And I thought the time for discoveries was restricted to the 12-20 years of age range! Isn't there a C minor piano concert among the last concerts?

Comment

Isn't there a C minor piano concert among the last concerts?
                  Yes, No. 24 in C minor, K. 491.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                    Yes, No. 24 in C minor, K. 491.
                    Yes - that's the one that influenced Beethoven's concerto in the same key.

For once, Mozart's opening sounds more Beethovenian than Beethoven's foursquare opening. (If that makes any sense anachronistically.)

And both works open with the same three notes (but that is dangerous territory as evinced by another thread. )

Last edited by Michael; 12-08-2018, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I find it boring. About the piano concerts in general: how wonderful when Mozart directs his attention to the woodwins.

Comment

I find it boring. About the piano concerts in general: how wonderful when Mozart directs his attention to the woodwins.
                        Enrique, you must really like Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto - especially the second movement where the piano gives way to the woodwind and strings for long periods.

Many famous pianists always need to be the centre of attraction, but Brahms and Tchaikovsky, in their slow movements, had no qualms about giving the best tunes to the strings or the woodwind.

In the end, it's all about the music, the end result - not the performer. (At least that's what I think - but I'm not a musician - just a listener).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                          In the end, it's all about the music, the end result - not the performer. (At least that's what I think - but I'm not a musician - just a listener).
                          Neither am I but I agree with you a hundred per cent. Most people don't see farther than the performer. The perfomer is kind of a barrier and they stop at the barrier. People go to the theater/concert hall to see somebody play. What does the permormer play? It doesn't matter.

I only had one of the five concertos, the third. The way the 1st movement ends! Later on I bought the 5th, which is the first of them I was acquanted with and truly deserves to be considered number one among his brothers. Don't come to me with the 4th. The emperor is the crown of the five. He was writing the 3rd symphony by that time. As to the 3rd/2nd movement I had to use youtube to remember it. Yes, it's magnificent.

Lately I have been in love with the 1st. Here you can listen to Mozart, Beethoven being the vehicle. Well, something more than a vehicle. A nobleman hoped Beethoven was the heir of Mozart, don't remember the words. I consider it kind of a miracle.

It's wierd. You mention Tchaikowsky and Brahms, two antithesis. When I was young I admired the 2nd piano concert (Brahms) and gave not a penny for the 1st. Now the situation is the inverse. The first, no matter how young Brahms was when composing it, is now in my opinion above the 2nd. The slow movement! Is something coming from above, from very high above.
                          Last edited by Enrique; 12-09-2018, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Yes - that's the one that influenced Beethoven's concerto in the same key.

For once, Mozart's opening sounds more Beethovenian than Beethoven's foursquare opening. (If that makes any sense anachronistically.)

And both works open with the same three notes (but that is dangerous territory as evinced by another thread. )

Actually only the first two notes are the same here Michael! Mozart's opens C, Eb, Ab, Beethoven's C, Eb, G. I have a very interesting dictionary of musical themes (Barlow & Morgenstern) and you will find endless pieces by all composers opening with similar note patterns and it isn't surprising when you consider the limitations of tonality - themes are going to be based on the common chord or scale.
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Tchaikowsky once said that themes based on the I chord, I mean the chord that has the tonic as its root, offer the greatest possibilities for development (spanish desarrollo).

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                Actually only the first two notes are the same here Michael! Mozart's opens C, Eb, Ab, Beethoven's C, Eb, G. I have a very interesting dictionary of musical themes (Barlow & Morgenstern) and you will find endless pieces by all composers opening with similar note patterns and it isn't surprising when you consider the limitations of tonality - themes are going to be based on the common chord or scale.
                                You're right, Peter. It's just the opening two notes. I was going over the openings in my head (which isn't as good as Beethoven's).

Comment

Working...
                                X