From the Horse's Mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the Horse's Mouth

I kid you not but there is a horse called Van Beethoven running in the Curragh (Ireland) tomorrow, Saturday 7th July.

In spite of what the news item says, I urge you not to place any bets on him as I've had a word with his trainer. He told me (in complete confidence, of course) that this horse is hard of hearing and in every race he always finishes 9th.

https://www.theirishfield.ie/curragh...y-tune-384123/

Unbelievably, my wife backed this horse without my knowledge and Van Beethoven won.
    Only ten euro but it's the thought that counts, seeing as she never backed a horse before!

Comment

Always bet on Beethoven!

Comment

You're right, Chris.

All I said to my wife was that there was a horse called "Van Beethoven" running in the Curragh (a famous race-course over here) and (without telling me) she went into a local betting office and she had to ask for assistance in placing the bet.

It was "even money" as, I think, the expression goes, but she put down ten euro and won twenty.

My main problem now is how to convince her that all the proceeds should go to yours truly!

I hope Beethoven won't lead us down the slippery slope of gambling!!!

Why the hell didn't she put down 500 euro?

https://www.theirishfield.ie/video-v...stakes-384388/

Last edited by Michael; 07-01-2018, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I'm not a betting man, but with a horse bearing that name I would have certainly placed a couple of hundred florins on it !!

Comment

Come to think of it, if the horse's name is Van Beethoven, what was the name of the jockey? Looking at the photo in Michael's link, it's a smallish guy, so probably not Ignatius Schuppanzigh...

Comment

Just checked on Google, the jockey was a certain Ryan Lee Moore.
              Hmm. Moore ... moor ... moorish ... dark skinned .... Spanish .... Beethoven dark looking ... died in the house of the Black-robed Spaniards ...
              Yes, a connection !!!
              Excuse me while I get my anorak and pop out in search of a life...

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                Just checked on Google, the jockey was a certain Ryan Lee Moore.
                Hmm. Moore ... moor ... moorish ... dark skinned .... Spanish .... Beethoven dark looking ... died in the house of the Black-robed Spaniards ...
                Yes, a connection !!!

Excuse me while I get my anorak and pop out in search of a life...
                I'll pop out in search of a drink with my winnings!

I wonder if Haydn or Mozart are running in anything? Rossini would be a good bet if they played the William Tell Overture.

Comment

Working...
                X