Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vienna Trip

Hi all

I have enjoyed Beethoven's music and been totally engaged in his life since the age of 11 (I am 52 now!). Yet, although I have visited Bonn a few times, I have just returned from my first visit to Vienna. A whistle stop tour of as much Beethoven as I could accommodate, in only three days, including a performance of the Barber of Seville at the State Opera House on Friday night. This whole visit was a birthday present from my 'Beethoven widowed' wife, who was unable to find a Beethoven concert while we were there.

I think we managed all the major sights, including the new Beethoven museum at Heiligenstadt (opened Nov 2017). [A great review of it by William Kinderman (who was involved in the project) is in the recent edition of ABS Beethoven Journal]. Sadly didn't have time to go to the museum in Baden, maybe next time.

What a magical place and the Viennese are so friendly. The Eroica room in Lobkowicz palace was closed for a private function, but the museum staff permitted me a quick view of the room. I think it was my Beethoven's tattoo's that pulled that off!

Just thought I'd share the moment with you all. What a enlightening and at times, intimate, experience.
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Glad you enjoyed Vienna. I was there in 2010 for a short visit, and I also went to Heiligenstadt but the new museum was not in existence back then.
    Like you, I was unable to attend a performance of any of Beethoven's music.

We did buy tickets for a performance of one of his string quartets which was to take place in the Mozarthaus but when we arrived we found we had been given incorrect information. The performers apologized and actually offered to play the Beethoven piece on the following night but, sadly, our flight was the next morning.
    Still, it was a glorious couple of days!

Comment

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Yes it's a great experience visiting this most musical of cities and walking in the footsteps of so many great composers. My 2003 trip will always stay with me and I hope to return one day!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

I'm also glad to hear that you had a lovely visit to Vienna.

I didn't know about the new Beethoven museum here in Heiligenstadt. Is it actually a new museum or did they just renovate the old Heiligenstadt Testament Haus? I live just a short distance from the Testament Haus, in the Karl Marx Hof. I haven't visited the old Testament Haus in eons. I'll have to check it out one of these days when my arthritic knees let me.
        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
          I'm also glad to hear that you had a lovely visit to Vienna.

I didn't know about the new Beethoven museum here in Heiligenstadt. Is it actually a new museum or did they just renovate the old Heiligenstadt Testament Haus? I live just a short distance from the Testament Haus, in the Karl Marx Hof. I haven't visited the old Testament Haus in eons. I'll have to check it out one of these days when my arthritic knees let me.
          Yes, you must visit. We had a quick sandwich in the park area of the Karl Marx Hof just before we walked to the Museum.
          Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Working...
          X