Kovacevich talks about Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kovacevich talks about Beethoven

I've found these intelligent and insightful comments, from last year, with Kovacevich where he talks, inter alia, about his love for Beethoven and his initial attraction to the composer through his 'third period' works - this when Kovacevich was still a teenager. So, in a sense, he worked 'backwards' with the composer's oeuvre. (Warning: the sound level isn't very good on this interview.)

And it's great to hear the pianist speaking enthusiastically about Swafford's biography of Beethoven which has been panned by critics. A friend of mine - who has also written his own book on music - absolutely loved it. I have Swafford's Brahms on my shelf, languishing, and staring at me through a virtually untouched dust jacket.

Kovacevich declares 'I worship Brahms'. How great to hear this!!

Sadly, the interviewer here is boring; she seems to know little about music and doesn't listen to what the pianist is saying and then use that as a springboard. It's the stock questions, I'm afraid. But Kovacevich is expansive and this saves the day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YRr3f3oH3Q

I always liked Kovacevich - even back in the day when he was Stephen Bishop - and, for a while, Stephen Bishop-Kovacevich! Among my favourite Beethoven recordings are his "Diabelli Variations" and the Bagatelles.

My son gave me Swafford's biography of Beethoven as a present last Christmas and I devoured it in a week - and it's one thick tome! I was probably preparing for my visit to Bonn which took place in February. It was not a difficult read - even for someone like myself who can't read music - but it did provide some new insights on the composer.

Swafford comes across as a highly likeable person - especially in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMB2YyWU96M

Comment

Working...
    X