Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live concerts

Hi,

I couldn't find a thread where we could share our experiences of Beethoven's music on live concerts. Maybe there's been one but it's buried somewhere...

Anyway I thought it would be nice to have a sort of "music critique" thread. Did you attend a concert where Beethoven's music was played? Where? Who were the musicians? What did you think of the performance?

----

I could start with a wonderful evening from last month. We had the utmost pleasure of hearing the Dutch pianist Ronald Brautigam, and what was even better, he played a Graf piano (a replica, but still! A fortepiano!). The concert was set at an old medieval church, and I had the front row seat (I got so lucky, I got it for free too - the place where I work at has some lovely advantages). My soon-to-be-spouse was sitting on the upper floor and to our happy surprise, both of the seats were spectacular! You never know with churches and period instruments you know...

Brautigam started with the sonata in E major, no.30. It was filled with emotion! So much in fact that he blurred a few notes but what did it matter, the impact was amazing. The presto part nearly knocked us from our seats! It was funny, too, that he stopped turning pages during the presto part, and just flew on the keys, humming as he played I didn't know he was a hummer xD

After the Beethoven sonata he played also Mendelssohn and Schumann (fantastic pieces both) and the audience demanded for more and more. Encores started, I was guessing they were Mendelssohn as well. At the end, I think it was his third encore, he played Für Elise and we just laughed I think it was his way to say "you've had enough of me tonight I'm going to bed now, thank you" We realized only on our way home that Brautigam didn't utter one word to the public, he just bowed to the audience several times.

Wonderful, wonderful musician.

---

I am also holding a ticket for Missa Solemnis, which will be performed by the Finnish National Opera in November. It will be first time I hear that piece live and it will be in a somewhat large neo-gothic church in Helsinki. I.Can't.Wait.
    Fühle was dies' Herz empfindent, reiche frei mir deine Hand, und das Band das uns verbindet, sei kein schwaches Rosenband! (J.W.von Goethe)

Sounds like a great evening!

Comment

I attended Beethoven's fifth symphony last year, conducted by Ricardo Muti. He opened the program with Mahler's first symphony. As a result I have become quite a Mahler fan. It had to sit a while, but back in June I ordered Bernstein's earlier Mahler cycle. I since got the Levine Mahler set (it does not include #2 and #8) and several miscellaneous performances of Mahler symphonies.

But back to Beethoven. Last winter I saw Beethoven's sixth symphony. It was the Detroit Symphony's conductor, I think assistant conductor.

I have coming up next winter, both Beethoven's Missa Solemnis and ninth symphony. One is the Budapest symphony, the other I think is the Ann Arbor, Michigan, symphony.

Heh, heh, next month (I know Mahler again but...) I am going to see Rattle conduct Mahler's seventh!

Beyond that, I would love to attend Beethoven's third and will if it comes up.
      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Sounds an awesome evening Fredrika! I'm rather envious! I love Ronald Brautigam! I've seen him play Schumann on a Steinway grand piano but never anything on a fortepiano. I'd started a concert thread ages ago but it's in the archives now.

I saw the 5th played last month and it was magnificent- they have period timpani now, which sounded fantastic.
        Last edited by AeolianHarp; 10-05-2016, 12:27 AM.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Great concerts you have coming up Harvey! I've been to concerts of the 9th and the 6th in the recent past myself.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I went to a J.S Bach concert last night with my mother. The violinist was James Ehnes from Canada and he was brilliant. He played Bach's sonatas and partitas. The last piece he played was the Chaconne!!!!! Hearing this live was something else.
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
              I went to a J.S Bach concert last night with my mother. The violinist was James Ehnes from Canada and he was brilliant. He played Bach's sonatas and partitas. The last piece he played was the Chaconne!!!!! Hearing this live was something else.
              Yes, he is a great violinist! My favorite recording of the Paganini 24 Caprices for solo violin is by him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Yes, he is a great violinist! My favorite recording of the Paganini 24 Caprices for solo violin is by him.
                I've heard a few people play the Chaconne ( on you tube) but none like that Chris!!!
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                X