Child Prodigies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child Prodigies

Well we know there is a lot of negativity surrounding prodigies, mainly because of the exploitation that has often been the case. However there is no doubting the extraordinary talent of these kids and providing they're in the hands of a good teacher and responsible parents then it is good to see how a natural talent develops.
    http://www.classical-music.com/artic...hild-prodigies
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Well we know there is a lot of negativity surrounding prodigies, mainly because of the exploitation that has often been the case. However there is no doubting the extraordinary talent of these kids and providing they're in the hands of a good teacher and responsible parents then it is good to see how a natural talent develops.
    http://www.classical-music.com/artic...hild-prodigies

I agree Peter- talent should be nurtured and encouraged! How many adults find later in life when they have more time that they had inborn talents that were never encouraged or valued when children/youngsters? We are not here to simply work for big companies and make them rich ha ha. The arts are important for the soul.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Usually when child prodigies are mentioned, most people think of Mozart. But Mendelssohn in his teenage years was writing much greater music than Mozart was at that age. However, he never developed into a really great composer, and his early death didn't help.
      I've read that the most awesome child prodigy in music (as far as is known) was Saint-Saens. I think it was Berlioz who said: "The only thing he lacks is inexperience."

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        But Mendelssohn in his teenage years was writing much greater music than Mozart was at that age.
        That, my dear friend, is a matter of conjecture. Mozart's early piano concertos, his violin concertos, and even his early symphonies, written when he was a teenager, are nothing to be ashamed of.
        Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
          That, my dear friend, is a matter of conjecture. Mozart's early piano concertos, his violin concertos, and even his early symphonies, written when he was a teenager, are nothing to be ashamed of.
          I'm no Mozart expert but I believe he didn't start turning out masterpieces until he was well into his twenties. He certainly didn't produce anything as good as the 16-year old Mendelssohn's Octet or the "Midsummer Night's Dream" overture of a year later.

Of course Mozart eventually surpassed him (and nearly everybody else) but I was astonished to find him described in one article as a "late developer."

Comment

In the book Felix Mendelssohn and His Times by Heinrich Eduard Jacob, there is a quote that Mendelssohn "was producing more independent ideas than Mozart at the same age [12], for the latter had turned out nothing but adroit imitations of his models."
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I'd rather hoped to focus on the prodigies featured! Surely Alma Deutscher stands out here even amongst the other very gifted children. Not only highly accomplished on the violin but also the piano and she composes! https://www.youtube.com/user/AlmaDeutscher
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Fanny Mendelssohn was quite gifted too but her talents were suppressed by family/tradition that women were not to make a living as a composer. Though they did let her freely play and compose at home for family and friends. Her piano playing was said to be even better than Felix's.
                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

You're right Peter abut Alma D. being very gifted. As for other gifted young personalities-Beverly Sills-the famous opera singer performed Gilbert and Sullivan at age 16 and Victor Borge won a full scholarship to the Royal Danish Music Conservatory at age nine.
                  'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I wonder if exposure to music as an infant creates neural pathways in the brain that determine outcome of talent/genius.
                    I imagine that centuries ago people like Bach or Mozart were laying in there cribs while father, mother or sibling was was intently practicing.
                    I'd say if you have young children please expose them to classical music at birth.
                    Art is truly good for the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                      I'd rather hoped to focus on the prodigies featured! Surely Alma Deutscher stands out here even amongst the other very gifted children. Not only highly accomplished on the violin but also the piano and she composes! https://www.youtube.com/user/AlmaDeutscher
                      "Highly accomplished"; undoubtedly that. But it disturbs me greatly to see the loss of childhood when a child is defined in terms of being just a small adult - demonstrably apparent in her U-tube appearance/'presentation'. Mozart never completely abandoned his childhood, despite the fact he was performing, along with his sister, from an early age; in fact, he was a perennial child if you read his letters and their infantile world-view. No adult pretensions for that composer as he was always himself. (In fact, I've long held the view that Mozart behaved in an infantile manner - at least in print - precisely because he was rejecting the authority of his domineering father. But he had a childhood, even if it lasted a bit too long!!)
                      Last edited by Humoresque; 10-16-2016, 11:04 PM. Reason: I spy.....something beginning with "A".

Comment

Originally posted by Humoresque View Post
                        "Highly accomplished"; undoubtedly that. But it disturbs me greatly to see the loss of childhood when a child is defined in terms of being just a small adult - demonstrably apparent in her U-tube appearance/'presentation'. Mozart never completely abandoned his childhood, despite the fact he was performing, along with his sister, from an early age; in fact, he was a perennial child if you read his letters and their infantile world-view. No adult pretensions for that composer as he was always himself. (In fact, I've long held the view that Mozart behaved in an infantile manner - at least in print - precisely because he was rejecting the authority of his domineering father. But he had a childhood, even if it lasted a bit too long!!)
                        I understand your point but I don't get a sense of exploitation here - she seems happy enough to me and what else are you supposed to do with such gifts except nurture them? She is lucky to have a supportive and understanding family around her and hopefully she will be successful in her future career.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

This revealing bit of penetrating and intellectual writing will provide some hints of what I've been talking about!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...m-home-cooking
                          Last edited by Humoresque; 10-17-2016, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I'm going to let all you music-lovers in on a little secret: we professional musicians don't have much use for the phenomenon of the Child Prodigy. Six year old violinists playing Mendelssohn; ten year old pianists playing Rachmaninov; and especially *shudder* twelve year old girls belting out operatic arias... or country music... or whatever... on national television? Yeah, it's impressive. Sort of. You can keep 'em; I have no interest, especially when it comes to the miniature singers.

But most professionals in the classical music arena look askance at pint-sized virtuosi. So many reasons...

For one thing, the great majority of child performers will eventually crash and burn attempting to make the transition from intuitive tot to analytical adult. There was once a centipede who was asked, "When you walk, in what order do you move your many legs?" The poor bastard had never thought about that, and became so self-conscious he never walked again. This syndrome is the norm for talented kiddies. Child pianists memorize intuitively, by ear; adult professionals memorize in the framework of an analytical system. Children who have been learning complicated masterworks without really knowing how they were doing it can fall into a similar state of paralysis.

Furthermore, that "unusual musical maturity" you think you detect in the oh-so-polished phrasing of a Chopin Nocturne or Paganini Etude is not organic maturity at all. It's apery; it's mimicry; it's the result of carefully imitating some adult's interpretation, be it from the teacher or some recording. Musical compositions which express profound insights about love, loss and life are beyond the ken of a nine year old and that's just how it is. Having a good ear is not the same thing as musical insight.
                            http://dropera.blogspot.co.uk/2012/0...ers-heres.html
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
                            X