Christ on the Mount of Olives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christ on the Mount of Olives

I have seen in several places the Christ on the Mount of Olives' Alleluja. Interested in the Mass in C, I bought from Dover publ. the score wich contained, in full score, both the whole Oratorio and the Mass.
    I tried to find the Alleluja and I didn't, seeking it out carefully, I realized that Dover's score didn't have it. Does anyone knows why?
    It goes from the Ouverture to the Finale, so I guess it couldn't be about forgetting the piece when editing. Was this Alleluja really B's?
    "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

The final chorus of "Christ on the Mount of Olives", containing a fugal allegro, was for many years known as Beethoven's "Hallelujah".

Michael

Comment

Thanks, now I see. The misunderstanding issue was that the text on my score is in german and does not say Halleluja.
      Says Welten Singen.
      "Wer ein holdes Weib errungen..."

"My religion is the one in which Haydn is pope." - by me .

"Set a course, take it slow, make it happen."

Comment

Which is the language and the origin of the lyrics of this oratorio?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
          Which is the language and the origin of the lyrics of this oratorio?
          Forgot about this question, surprised on-one has answered it yet. The text was I believe written specifically for the piece, in German. The author was Franz Huber (whose output was, I think, directed by Beethoven in this case).

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 03-08-2002).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Barry Cooper has recently put forward the theory that Beethoven himself might have had a substantial input into the lyrics.

M.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
              Barry Cooper has recently put forward the theory that Beethoven himself might have had a substantial input into the lyrics.

M.
              I am aware of this theory, but I would be very surprised indeed if B's input proved to be 'substantial'. I was of the impression that B would have influenced the nature of the scenes and the poet would have 'filled it out'. B is certainly not well known as a librettist!

------------------
              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
              X