Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven and plants

Dear people,
    I'm Pastorale and of course one of my favourite Beethoven pieces is "Pastoral Symphony". I read somewhere that B. said that he likes trees more than people. I'm great lover of plants (I grow my own beans and potato, I have huge ficus, some room plants and a rose. One of my dreams is to have one carnivorous plant just for fun ). I'm wondering if Ludwig van grew some plants in his house. Sorry if I'm too boring, but I'm so bored!!!

Highly unlikely that they would have survived long if he did! No I think Beethoven liked the outdoors and seeing plants in their natural environment - he wasn't partial to formal gardens, but preferred the untamed beauty of nature.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Highly unlikely that they would have survived long if he did! No I think Beethoven liked the outdoors and seeing plants in their natural environment - he wasn't partial to formal gardens, but preferred the untamed beauty of nature.
      Especially the Vienna Woods which is just at our door step here in Heiligenstadt.

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Untamed beauty of nature is THE THING!! But why they wouldn't have survived long? Why do you think so? Was Beethoven careless?

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorale View Post
          Untamed beauty of nature is THE THING!! But why they wouldn't have survived long? Why do you think so? Was Beethoven careless?
          Somehow I don't think having plants around the house would interest him, he would forget to water them. He would be far too engrossed in his music and composing to bother about indoor plants.
          ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            Somehow I don't think having plants around the house would interest him, he would forget to water them. He would be far too engrossed in his music and composing to bother about indoor plants.
            That makes sense... We're lucky he was artist instead of botanist!

Comment

Apparently, when he was younger in Vienna, he had a horse. His friends had to pay to feed and care for the horse because Beethoven too often forgot about the poor animal. How can you forget you own a horse ! Seemingly LvB could...

Comment

Yes Paul, around 1796, Beethoven 'kept' a horse. He dedicated the 12 Variations on a Danse Russe to Countess Browne. The horse was a gift from her husband the Count. Apparently Beethoven's valet hired out this horse for his own benefit.

Although Beethoven's love of nature is well know, I do not think that he kept any plants. He couldn't look after himself, let alone any plants.
                Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Working...
                X