Really disturbing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really disturbing questions

Where was Beethoen living when he composed the piano sonata No.31? What day did he compose the beautiful second theme of the vivace ma non troppo? Can scientists make laboratory tests on the writing on Beethoven's sketches to discover the exact time when they were written? What type of pencil did he use to write?

The vivace ma non troppo is the first movement of sonata no.30 (Op.109) not 31 (Op.110), so I'm not sure which you are referring to. Regarding inks, further tests would be needed on ink types, paper types and watermarks. We know from previous tests that one ink type would probably last between a few weeks and months, and that he sometimes used different ink types concurrently.
    ------------------
    'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 03-05-2002).]
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Effectively, I'm refering to the Vivace ma non troppo of the sonata No.30, Op.109. The last opus numbers are so confusing!

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
        Effectively, I'm refering to the Vivace ma non troppo of the sonata No.30, Op.109. The last opus numbers are so confusing!
        It is the opus number rather than the sonata number that is generally used to refer to the sonatas in the uk. Op.109 dates from 1820 when Beethoven was living from Feb-May at Josephstadt Glacis "Zur Goldenen Birne". He spent the summer months (where most of the work on the sonata was probably done) at Modling (116 Badenbergerstrasse,"Christhof") (Now 6 Aschenaugasse). After a brief stay at another address he spent the winter months at 244 Landstrasse (now 60 Haupstrasse).

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
        X