The size of the Christian Horneman miniature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The size of the Christian Horneman miniature

Anyone know what the size of this portrait of Beethoven is? I have been wondering for ages. It's my favourite one of him; it is an excellent artwork.

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...=1511&_seite=1
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

This is a wonderful miniature and one of my favourite portraits of Beethoven.
    From what I read a miniature was usually 1.5" x about 1.25". Portrait miniatures were often used as personal mementos or
    as jewelry.
    Last edited by Joy; 10-20-2015, 05:00 PM. Reason: sp
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
      This is a wonderful miniature and one of my favourite portraits of Beethoven.
      From what I read a miniature was usually 1.5" x about 1.25". Portrait miniatures were often used as personal mementos or
      as jewelry.
      I hope I can see it for real one day- just seen prints/photos of it, which doesn't allow me to guess the size. That is really small! I am impressed how the artist could paint something so small that is such quality and realistic to life. If I draw a portrait I need to do it large to get get detail right.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        I hope I can see it for real one day- just seen prints/photos of it, which doesn't allow me to guess the size. That is really small! I am impressed how the artist could paint something so small that is such quality and realistic to life. If I draw a portrait I need to do it large to get get detail right.
        What about these then!
        http://www.busonero.it/index1.htm
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          What about these then!
          http://www.busonero.it/index1.htm
          Beautiful! Equally impressive are the tiny books the Bronte sisters wrote/made- I have seen them twice in their Parsonage.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Wow! Those are really small! Once I saw a pin with the 'Our Father' prayer painted on the head. It was in a museum that had all miniature items displayed. They had a really strong magnifying glass to view it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
              Wow! Those are really small! Once I saw a pin with the 'Our Father' prayer painted on the head. It was in a museum that had all miniature items displayed. They had a really strong magnifying glass to view it.
              How on earth did anyone get a paintbrush small enough to paint that!!
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Well, the artists use a needle and a microscope. The engravings on the head of a pin are tiny scratches, made using the fine tip of a needle. They also clamp their arms down so to reduce movement/shaking. This has been a form of art since the Victorian times maybe sooner. The pin I saw with The Lord's Prayer took the artist 300 hours to make. Lots and lots of patience and discipline.

Comment

Working...
                X