Felix Mendelssohn- artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    The overtures 'Hebrides' and 'Ruy Blas' along with the 3rd and 4th symphonies are a good place to start.
    Thank you. I am familiar with these overtures but not so much with the symphonies. One of the first piano concertos I ever attempted to learn was the G minor. I could never play it up to tempo. I reviewed his output of music at the Mendelssohn Project, which I found overwhelming, and am now even more curious about his paintings and sketches.
    I have a Kalmus edition of Songs Without Words. Did Mendelssohn publish in this format or was it published later by an editor. I didn't find a reference to it when I view his output.

Comment

Originally posted by dahc View Post
      Thank you. I am familiar with these overtures but not so much with the symphonies. One of the first piano concertos I ever attempted to learn was the G minor. I could never play it up to tempo. I reviewed his output of music at the Mendelssohn Project, which I found overwhelming, and am now even more curious about his paintings and sketches.
      I have a Kalmus edition of Songs Without Words. Did Mendelssohn publish in this format or was it published later by an editor. I didn't find a reference to it when I view his output.
      Regarding the Songs Without Words, there were 8 volumes published separately, each consisting of 6 pieces. The first volume was published by Novello in London (1832) as Original Melodies for the Pianoforte, but the later volumes used the title 'Lieder ohne Worte' (Songs Without Words)

Also try his chamber music, some wonderful pieces including the Piano Trios Nos. 1 & 2, Opp. 49, 66, the String Octet, String quartets and quintets.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Regarding the Songs Without Words, there were 8 volumes published separately, each consisting of 6 pieces. The first volume was published by Novello in London (1832) as Original Melodies for the Pianoforte, but the later volumes used the title 'Lieder ohne Worte' (Songs Without Words)

Also try his chamber music, some wonderful pieces including the Piano Trios Nos. 1 & 2, Opp. 49, 66, the String Octet, String quartets and quintets.
        thank you. I appreciate the explanation. I gave the list of works a careless glance, not trying to translate in english.

Comment

Mendelssohn is BBC composer of the week and this link is about his artistic abilities.
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...rr-mendelssohn
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Mendelssohn is BBC composer of the week and this link is about his artistic abilities.
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...rr-mendelssohn
            Thank you for this info. Mendelssohn was gifted indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by dahc View Post
              Thank you for this info. Mendelssohn was gifted indeed!
              A shame he didn't live longer. Also his sister was gifted and would have gone much farther in composing had her family not held her back.
              "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
              --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                A shame he didn't live longer. Also his sister was gifted and would have gone much farther in composing had her family not held her back.
                I wonder how many other famous composers had gifted siblings. Time for some fact checking! Or spouses. Clara of course! oh yea, JS Bach.

Comment

Working...
                X