Felix Mendelssohn- artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Felix Mendelssohn- artist

Some great websites on his artwork- what a talented man!

http://www.mendelssohninscotland.com/journey-north

http://www.themendelssohnproject.org...artworks_2.htm
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Next to Beethoven's, Mendelssohn's are the only other symphonies I really like.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
      My similar comment would be Mozart and Haydn's ( not that I have heard all these two composers' symphonies- by a long shot...).

I'm not familiar with Mendelssohn's either.

I am on a life long musical journey so time will remedy that..
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Next to Beethoven's, Mozart's, Haydn's (31,44,45,60,67,83,86,88,92,94,98-104), Schubert's (7-10), Schumann (2-4), Brahms, Tchaikowsky (1,4-6, +Manfred symph.), Dvorak (7,9), C. Frank, Mahler (2, 3) Mendelssohn's (2-5) are the only other symphonies I really like ... ;-)
        Last edited by gprengel; 08-17-2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
          Next to Beethoven's, Mozart's, Haydn's (31,44,45,60,67,83,86,88,92,94,98-104), Schubert's (7-10), Schumann (2-4), Brahms, Tchaikowsky (1,4-6, +Manfred symph.), Dvorak (7,9), C. Frank, Mahler (2, 3) Mendelssohn's (2-5) are the only other symphonies I really like ... ;-)
          No Bruckner Gerd? It took me a long time to come round to Bruckner, but I'm glad I did!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            No Bruckner Gerd? It took me a long time to come round to Bruckner, but I'm glad I did!
            From Bruckner I love only certain movements, above all the awesome Adagio and Finale from the 8th, or some passages from the 6th and 7th (Codas from the 1st movements and parts from the 2nd movements), or the Scherzo from the 3rd, but mostly he doesn't speak to me that much ...

Gerd

Comment

That's funny; I was going to bring Bruckner up, as well.

Comment

And where is Prokofiev in this list? Or Sibelius? Or Shostakovitch? Or Rachmaninov?..... my goodness, there are so many incredible symphonies out there. Still, Beethoven is Beethoven. Nobody beats that. But one must listen to the others, if for no other reason than to know just how special Ludwig's stuff is. Most of those before him could not have an inkle as to what was coming; those coming afterwards always look over their shoulders to see Ludwig or even literally quote him. It's no accident.

Comment

Well now I have Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Berwald, Saint Saens, Mahler, and Louise Farrenc for symponies that I really like a lot. Brahms did not quite do it for me. I may give Bruckner a try some day.
                  "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Well now I have Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Berwald, Saint Saens, Mahler, and Louise Farrenc for symponies that I really like a lot. Brahms did not quite do it for me. I may give Bruckner a try some day.
                    Any luck with Schumann's? Early on I was excited about Brahms, but the interest pretty much faded. While I like his symphonies I just don't listen to them anymore. I think Schumann is somewhere between Mendelssohn and Brahms.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                      Any luck with Schumann's? Early on I was excited about Brahms, but the interest pretty much faded. While I like his symphonies I just don't listen to them anymore. I think Schumann is somewhere between Mendelssohn and Brahms.
                      I have not really spent much time on Schumann, or many others. Eventually, I will likely get around Schumann and many others.

Comment

I find Mendelssohns' music attractive. I will take time to explore more of his music.

Comment

Originally posted by dahc View Post
                          I find Mendelssohns' music attractive. I will take time to explore more of his music.
                          The overtures 'Hebrides' and 'Ruy Blas' along with the 3rd and 4th symphonies are a good place to start.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

The overtures 'Hebrides' and 'Ruy Blas' along with the 3rd and 4th symphonies are a good place to start.
                            I love the 5th symphony more than the 4th. Great is also the 2nd piano concerto in d-minor, and the marvellous unfinished 3rd piano concerto in e-minor - not to mention the outstanding violin concerto ...

Comment

My introduction to Mendelssohn was the Violin Concerto as it provided the background music to a Robin Hood Record. Like gprengel, I like the 5th Symphony better than the 4th, as well, and quite like the 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                              X