John Suchet's B biography?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Suchet's B biography?

Perhaps some of you have visited the "Mad About Beethoven" web page. The site's creator has a biography (divided into 3 books).

What interested me was that Suchet claims the books make fairly accurate guesses as to what was actually going on in Beethoven's life when he wrote a specific piece. This, undoubtedly would help one to better appreciate these works. Has anyone here read this, and if so, what was your opinion of it? Thanks.

Yes, I have read the trilogy. You need to keep in mind that the trilogy is not a biography in the sense that all the facts of his life are presented, but a fictional biography, where Beethoven's life has been written as a novel.

I hardly consider myself to be an expert of Beethoven's life, rather, I just enjoy his music, so I really can't tell you whether the guesses he made are correct. But, apparently he did extensive research for the book which he lists in the Preface. He does admit that on occasions he had to 'fill in the gaps' that history left behind.

Suchet attempts to write through Beethoven's perspective as he composes. He does this with some well-known Beethoven compositions, from symphonies to string trios.

Personally, I enjoyed the books, and am interested to hear other opinions of those who have

Comment

I didn't know that guy made a book on Beethoven

------------------
      freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 01-15-2002).]

Comment

I read John Suchet's three books a couple of years ago and enjoyed them thoroughly, although I felt that, in the last volume, he didn't quite get inside Beethoven's mind. But, considering the compositions of that period, who could?
        I was totally unprepared for the effect these books had on my son who was twenty at the time and heavily into American punk rock.
        He had been showing a slight interest in classical music - and I was leaving well enough alone - until one day he picked up the first book of the trilogy. He had hardly read a book up to that time, so I was totally gobsmacked when he devoured all three books in record time, finishing the third one a train on the date that Beethoven died!
        The result is that he is now a voracious reader and a Beethoven lunatic - with absolutely no pressure from Dad. The downside is that I am slightly into American punk rock .......
        Incidentally, John Suchet's brother, David is a well-known actor who bears an uncanny resemblance to the mature Beethoven.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:

The result is that he is now a voracious reader and a Beethoven lunatic - with absolutely no pressure from Dad. The downside is that I am slightly into American punk rock .......
          Incidentally, John Suchet's brother, David is a well-known actor who bears an uncanny resemblance to the mature Beethoven.

Michael
          You're not Rod's dad are you?!!!!

I don't think David Suchet looks anything like late Beethoven!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'

'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            You're not Rod's dad are you?!!!!

Listen, I'm a coal miner's son!

------------------
            "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I read John Suchet's three books a couple of years ago and enjoyed them thoroughly, although I felt that, in the last volume, he didn't quite get inside Beethoven's mind. But, considering the compositions of that period, who could?
              I was totally unprepared for the effect these books had on my son who was twenty at the time and heavily into American punk rock.
              He had been showing a slight interest in classical music - and I was leaving well enough alone - until one day he picked up the first book of the trilogy. He had hardly read a book up to that time, so I was totally gobsmacked when he devoured all three books in record time, finishing the third one a train on the date that Beethoven died!

Michael
              Very interesting story. David Suchet, isn't he the one who plays 'Inspector Peroit' on the Agatha Christie mysteries on PBS' Mystery?
              I have to admit, I've never seen the resmeblance between him and the older Beethoven either! Sorry! Glad to hear your son caught on to Beethoven though. Even though you din't have to 'push' you must be very satisfied!
              Joy
              'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

I don't think David Suchet looks anything like late Beethoven!

[/B]
                Next time you see him, mentally remove the wax moustache and put a Beethoven wig on him. He appeared in a costume drama on BBC before Xmas called "The Way we Live Now" and the resemblance to B was eerie.

Michael

Comment

Next time you see him, mentally remove the wax moustache and put a Beethoven wig on him. He appeared in a costume drama on BBC before Xmas called "The Way we Live Now" and the resemblance to B was eerie.

Michael
                  If he played B I'd still be expecting a murder to occur at any minute!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

If he played B I'd still be expecting a murder to occur at any minute!

Which would make him ideal for the part.
                    I knew you'd agree with me eventually, Peter.

Michael

Comment

I think John Suchet is fantastic, an extremely engaging writer I couldn't put the books down. I spoke to him at length about Beethoven, and this is a project he has spent a large amount of time researching. Brilliant!
                      The Immortal beloved!!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael:
                        [B]I read John Suchet's three books a couple of years ago and enjoyed them thoroughly, although I felt that, in the last volume, he didn't quite get inside Beethoven's mind. But, considering the compositions of that period, who could?

You really recommend his books? You know I dig the facts. Suchet did a B program on TV and I didn't care for it. How old is your son? Mine is already a Beethoven (and Weird Al Yankovik) snob and is starting to read heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzie:

You really recommend his books? You know I dig the facts. Suchet did a B program on TV and I didn't care for it. How old is your son? Mine is already a Beethoven (and Weird Al Yankovik) snob and is starting to read heavily.

[/B]
                          My son was about twenty (two years ago) when he suddenly developed his Beethoven obsession, and the Suchet books triggered it off. As I said, they are very well-written and packed with historical facts, but they are novels, and a lot of material is invented but, as Suchet himself states, there is nothing in them that could not have happened.
                          In reading the books, I came across a lot of incidents I had read of in biographies, but the fictitious scenes are hard to spot unless you are an expert. There was one scene in particular which I was convinced was invented until I found out later it was completely true.
                          What was wrong with the B programme Suchet presented? He always comes across very well and is a total out and out Beethoven freak (in his own words)
                          Michael
                          Michael

Comment

John Suchet's novels are disgusting, IMO. They show that he knows nothing of Beethoven's character. Suchet claims he did 10 years of research. Pity he learned so little in all those years.

Comment

Originally posted by AlteGrafin:
                              John Suchet's novels are disgusting, IMO. They show that he knows nothing of Beethoven's character. Suchet claims he did 10 years of research. Pity he learned so little in all those years.
                              Then you will not be pleased to hear that the Englishman Suchet is currently undertaking a further Beethoven publication.

------------------
                              "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                              http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
                              X