What a piece is this ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a piece is this ?

Last weekend I was doing a bicycle trip and was passing by a church from where I heard beautiful sounds. I went in and found that there was a concerto but was almost finished: The final piece touched me so deeply and I felt that I MUST hear it by an orchestra. So this afternoon I wrote an orchestra version which I think is very beautiful ...

Do you guess the composer or maybe even the piece itself?

www.gerdprengel.de/piece_orch.mp3

Gerd

Very lovely Gerd thank you - it sounds like a very familiar hymn, but I've no idea of the title. The orchestration sounds straight out of the Magic flute!
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Very lovely Gerd thank you - it sounds like a very familiar hymn, but I've no idea of the title. The orchestration sounds straight out of the Magic flute!
      I don't know what it IS, but I would bet that it most certainly IS NOT from The Magic Flute.
      Zevy

Comment

Originally posted by Zevy View Post
        I don't know what it IS, but I would bet that it most certainly IS NOT from The Magic Flute.
        I'm not saying it's from the Magic Flute, it certainly isn't but Gerd's orchestration sounds as though influenced by it. I think it's a hymn tune or the melody is taken from one.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well, I want to give you the answer. Regarding the composer, I think it should not be too difficult to see that it can't be anyone but Felix Mendelssohn! The piece of course is rather unknown. I also had never heard it before - it is the final Andante from his organ sonata #6 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z-UTe34eLs

And here my score:
          http://www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssoh...inale_orch.pdf

Thank you for your reference to the Magic Flute - I was not aware of it! But now I realise that the similiarity to the march of the priests at the opening of the 2nd act, but Mendelssohns leading of the voices is richer as you can see in the score. The melody indeed has the character of a hymn - Mendelssohn really wrote so wonderful chorusses (like in his oratorios). How I love his spiritual music!

But I do not really like the organ instrument so much (only Mozart's KV 608), so I was happy to give an orchestral garment to this little gem ..

Gerd

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
            Well, I want to give you the answer. Regarding the composer, I think it should not be too difficult to see that it can't be anyone but Felix Mendelssohn! The piece of course is rather unknown. I also had never heard it before - it is the final Andante from his organ sonata #6 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z-UTe34eLs

And here my score:
            http://www.gerdprengel.de/Mendelssoh...inale_orch.pdf

Thank you for your reference to the Magic Flute - I was not aware of it! But now I realise that the similiarity to the march of the priests at the opening of the 2nd act, but Mendelssohns leading of the voices is richer as you can see in the score. The melody indeed has the character of a hymn - Mendelssohn really wrote so wonderful chorusses (like in his oratorios). How I love his spiritual music!

But I do not really like the organ instrument so much (only Mozart's KV 608), so I was happy to give an orchestral garment to this little gem ..

Gerd
            Yes Gerd the March of the Priests was also exactly what I was thinking of in regard to your orchestration. The Mendelssohn is based on the Bach chorale 'Vater unser im Himmelreich', BWV 416.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
            X