Tempo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter:
    Certainly he did! One of his very last letters dated 18th March 1827 to Moschelles in London concerns the metronome markings for the 9th Symphony. In a joint public statement with Salieri to the Viennese press on 14th Feb 1818 Beethoven had recommended the use of the metronome.

Then what are the metronome markings for the 9th ? If they do exist I'll check how close some of my recordings come.

Steve

www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by SR:
      Then what are the metronome markings for the 9th ? If they do exist I'll check how close some of my recordings come.

Steve

Allegro ma non troppo crotchet=88
      Molto Vivace Dotted Minim=116
      Presto Dotted Minim=116
      Adagio TempoI Crotchet =60
      Andante Moderato Crotchet=63
      Finale Presto Dotted Minim=96
      Allegro Ma non troppo Crotchet = 88
      Allegro assai Minim=80
      Alla marcia Dotted crotchet=84
      Andante Maestoso Minim=72
      Adagio divoto Minim=60
      Allegro energico Dotted Minim = 84
      Allegro ma non tanto Minim=120
      Prestissimo Minim=132
      Maestoso Crotchet=60

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Allegro ma non troppo crotchet=88
        Molto Vivace Dotted Minim=116
        Presto Dotted Minim=116
        Adagio TempoI Crotchet =60
        Andante Moderato Crotchet=63
        Finale Presto Dotted Minim=96
        Allegro Ma non troppo Crotchet = 88
        Allegro assai Minim=80
        Alla marcia Dotted crotchet=84
        Andante Maestoso Minim=72
        Adagio divoto Minim=60
        Allegro energico Dotted Minim = 84
        Allegro ma non tanto Minim=120
        Prestissimo Minim=132
        Maestoso Crotchet=60

Thanks Peter...

But you've lost me here, What do Crotchet and Minim refer to ? The opening marking of Allegro ma non tropo would be far quicker that 88 beats per minute. The molto vivace and presto that follow would not be the same and again that term would indicate faster than 116 beats per minute. There is either a mistake of kind or some terminology B used that is unfamiliar to me.

Steve

www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by SR:
          Thanks Peter...

But you've lost me here, What do Crotchet and Minim refer to ? The opening marking of Allegro ma non tropo would be far quicker that 88 beats per minute. The molto vivace and presto that follow would not be the same and again that term would indicate faster than 116 beats per minute. There is either a mistake of kind or some terminology B used that is unfamiliar to me.

Steve

I wondered if our English terminology would confuse you! Crotchet is a quarter note (1 beat). Minim a half note (2 beats). The markings are those Beethoven sent to Moschelles in London for publication. They are generally considered fast not too slow. You're right about the Molto Vivace and Presto - (that must be a misprint in my Beethoven letters edition), I checked my score and the markings are Molto Vivace, dotted half note=116 / Presto, Half note =116

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

I wondered if our English terminology would confuse you! Crotchet is a quarter note (1 beat). Minim a half note (2 beats). The markings are those Beethoven sent to Moschelles in London for publication. They are generally considered fast not too slow. You're right about the Molto Vivace and Presto - (that must be a misprint in my Beethoven letters edition), I checked my score and the markings are Molto Vivace, dotted half note=116 / Presto, Half note =116

I think I'm going to need a score to undertake this little comparison I have in mind. You've explained minum's and crochet's
            but that information is really meaningless without knowing the time signatures and being able to see time signature changes (if any) within a movement. I think I'll move from here to eBay and do a search.

Steve
            www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Working...
            X