Classical, Romantic; Left Brain, Right Brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical, Romantic; Left Brain, Right Brain

It's a little confusing, but when we talk about “Classical Music,” we're usually referring to art music as opposed to popular music. Few people like the term because it means that popular music can't be 'art' and classical music can't be 'popular.' People tried calling it “Serious Music” but aren't most musicians serious about what they do, no matter what kind of music they write or play? So we're stuck with “Classical.”

But there are different historical periods of “Classical Music” - one of which is called “Classical.” So it just makes it more confusing. When we're talking about the major historical periods, the basic ones are

Baroque (1600-1750)
    Classical (1750-1800)
    Romantic (1800-1900)
    Modern (1900- )

The dates are only approximate but the important thing is to realize the stylistic differences between what we call these “Classical” and “Romantic” periods. Just to make it more confusing, they can also co-exist at the same time in almost any period, no matter what the period's called.

LEFT BRAIN, RIGHT BRAIN / CLASSICAL, ROMANTIC

The two different halves of the brain control different aspects of the way we think. It turns out that some peoples' personalities are dominated by one over the other; and other people can be a little of both, like a compromise.

The Left Brain examines things in a logical, rational, sequential nature. A Left-brained person is usually more analytical and objective, looking at the parts to understand the whole.

The Right Brain examines things in a more random, intuitive way and rather than analyzing everything, tends to be more subjective, looking at the whole thing first before understanding the component parts.

In the past, scientists described these Left Brain characteristics as being either Apollonian after the Greek god Apollo who was the god of the sun and also of things like logic. The Right Brain characteristics were called Dionysian, after Dionysus or Bacchus, the Greek god of wine. And since drinking wine led to irrational acting and thinking, it seemed appropriate.

So essentially, we could say that “Classical Music” is more Apollonian or Left-Brained – logical, sequential, very structured, leaner textures in the sound of the music, clearer in its form and content. The form is more obvious - you can usually tell where you are in the structure of the piece. Harmony and Form are more important than Melody and Rhythm.

It's also usually abstract - music about music. You might think it suggests something, some other kind of image in your mind, but that's you interpreting it, not necessarily what the composer is implying.

What we call “Romantic Music” is more Dionysian or Right-Brained, tending to be more emotional, not really concerned with following the rules, moving forward intuitively rather than pre-planned (if something unexpected happens, maybe the composer might be thinking "oh, that's cool - wonder where this is going? Let's find out"). The texture of the music might be denser, maybe even “messy” without clear lines where the harmony is going or what is actually the melody. The music can be more dramatic with more contrast or conflict in the over-all sound. Melody may be more important and rhythm is used to propel the music and to create an emotional response. Harmony and Form, two very “structured” elements of music are less rigid. A “Romantic” composer is less concerned about breaking the rules.
    Read on:

http://mendelssohnsworld.blogspot.co...ain-right.html
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

I'd venture to say that music wise I am more in the Dionysian camp. The works I most enjoy are those that trigger intense emotional responses. Likewise with interpretations. Prime, proper and polite rarely do much for me. And of course I love a performance that, for whatever reason, causes my eyes to mist, or has me bobbing my head, tapping my feet, bursting out in applause and/or cheering.

More, it was through symphonic literature of the early-high romantic period that initially hooked me on classical music. Only later did I come to appreciate and eventually love music on either side of that. Even now I consider my chief musical interest to be from mature Haydn/Mozart through Mahler/Strauss. Either side of those I become more and more selective.

It is interested that the author considers being on time an Apollonian trait. In this sense I am pure Apollonian and indeed more than Apollonian. I prefer to be three hours early rather than one minute late. Heck, I prefer to be three hours early over being five minutes early. Giving myself only a five minutes fudge-factor would make me so paranoid I'd be a nervous wreck when I arrived. In real life I generally schedule myself to arrive 30-45 before my alloted time. If all goes according to plan I don't mind the wait. If it doesn't, those extra minutes give flexibility to sit out traffic delays without going into histrionics.
    Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 04-29-2015, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X