Creation History: Beethoven's Fidelio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creation History: Beethoven's Fidelio

A very interesting looking article that I have not read yet, but looks very worthwhile:

http://www.raptusassociation.org/fideliohiste.html
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Yes that site is very good for background information, we also have some here on our own site - http://www.lvbeethoven.co.uk/page26.html
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I know this site well- it is by far the best website on Beethoven! ( Except for Beethoven's Hair which is a different type of site- multi media/interactive).
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        I know this site well- it is by far the best website on Beethoven! ( Except for Beethoven's Hair which is a different type of site- multi media/interactive).
        I assume you're referring to the Beethoven Reference Site?
        www.lvbeethoven.co.uk
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          I assume you're referring to the Beethoven Reference Site?
          www.lvbeethoven.co.uk

It's a good forum- great that it's keeping going as some forums fall by the wayside like the other Beethoven one ( the one that used to be owned by someone from France) and the Mozart one.

My only critiscism of www.lvbeethoven.co.uk is the visuals- text that jumbled and missing at the end of the pages.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            Yes that site is very good for background information, we also have some here on our own site - http://www.lvbeethoven.co.uk/page26.html
            I just went to the root URL on that site and did not realize how extensive it is. But I like the link you provided because my main purpose was to search out what overtures were used for the different iterations of Fidelio and your linke is concise and to the point.

My favorite Fidelio is Bernstein with Janowitz. But I recently ordered Klemperer's Fidelio and it may be right up there with Bernstein's. I also just ordered the 1906 version on CD.

My problem with the Beethoven Reference Site is that it is graphics heavy and hard to navigate. Also they will list all the recordings but without any commentary. At least they could say if the sound quality is decent.
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Working...
            X