Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build Your Own Beethoven

http://www.wearegreenbay.com/1fullte...OEOjp_qq3GwKpQ

Build a Symphony” – Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)

I. Allegro ma non troppo from “Symphony No. 6, Opus 68

II. Allegretto from “Symphony No. 7, Opus 92”

III. Allegro vivace from “Symphony No. 4, Opus 60”

IV. Allegro from “Symphony No. 6, Opus 67”

This is seriously weird. What I can't understand is the choice of the final movement. There are only two allegro movements in the 6th symphony and both of them do not end properly but lead into the next: "Peasants Merrymaking" and "The Storm". I can't see either of them finishing off a symphony.

Anyone got any ideas for your own combination? You have 37 movements to play around with.

Last edited by Michael; 04-20-2015, 12:03 PM.

"Seriously weird" is an apt description. Imagine ending on with the 3rd movement of the 5th Symphony. You'd be in suspension for the rest of the day.

Comment

An interesting aspect of this is that combining movements from different symphonies was at one time a not uncommon practice. I seem to recall Berlioz ranting against it being done with/to Beethoven in France back when the works were not widely accepted or understood. As for me, I don't know that I would even attempt a mix-and-match Beethoven symphony. Were I to do so, the example provided above would not have entered my mind.

I do sometimes single out individual movements to hear without their teammates.

I'll think on this some more. Maybe something will come to me.

Comment

The second movement of the Seventh symphony was so popular at one stage that it was often included in the Second symphony instead of its original movement. This was before my time - in other words, many years ago!

Comment

It so obviously goes against a composer's intentions so whilst I can understand listening to movements in isolation, I see little point in picking 4 unrelated movements and then calling it a symphony which it no longer is! A bit like mixing 'Macbeth' with 'Merry wives of Windsor' and coming up with Much ado about nothing!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Earlier Symphonies (pre 19th Century) can work without too much difficulty, but as you get into the 19th Century and later there are too many symphonies that extend motifs from one movement to another. To fully appreciate the movement you need the rest of the symphony.

Comment

Working...
            X