Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozart in Prague-Rolando Villazon on Don Giavanni

BBC iplayer documentary.

Don Giovanni had its premiere performance in Prague on October 29, 1787. Mozart's vastly successful opera, based on the stories of legendary libertine Don Juan, delighted the city that had taken him to their hearts. But what brought them all - composer and audience, theatre manager and cast - to this time and place?

Acclaimed tenor Rolando Villazón presents the story of one of the best-known operas of all time. Based in Prague, Rolando explores the run-up to that candle-lit first performance, looking at the music of the opera and the social setting in which it was first performed, before recreating the finale of the opera close to how it would have looked and sounded on that autumn evening.

Rolando visits the Estates Theatre, where Mozart conducted Don Giovanni's premiere. He works with local orchestra Collegium 1704, their conductor Václav Luks and opera singers Svatopluk Sem, Alžběta Poláčková, Fulvio Bettini and Jan Martiník, performing and dissecting the music of the opera. By singing and discussing key passages, Rolando reveals Mozart's genius as a composer and the revolutionary musical techniques he used.

As he explores, we are able to grasp how Don Giovanni not only entertained the audience but terrified them by playing on the deepest fears of the 18th century; how different it would have sounded played on the instruments of the time; and how with this masterpiece Mozart went beyond the musical conventions of the day and created something unique. By talking with a range of experts and drawing on historical sources, Rolando brings to life the setting, costumes and audience, and presents a detailed picture of the world in which the opera was first performed.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042m80v
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

I was able to see a very brief teaser for this program at YouTube. Interesting concept. I agree with Villazon's claimed assessment that Don Giovanni is one of greatest artistic creations of all time, though surely he knows what period orchestral instruments sound like. (The wording in the teaser makes in seem otherwise. Then again maybe I'm being too nit-picky.) At any rate unless folk here tell me otherwise it looks to be a program worth watching if and when it appears in its entirety at YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
      I was able to see a very brief teaser for this program at YouTube. Interesting concept. I agree with Villazon's claimed assessment that Don Giovanni is one of greatest artistic creations of all time, though surely he knows what period orchestral instruments sound like. (The wording in the teaser makes in seem otherwise. Then again maybe I'm being too nit-picky.) At any rate unless folk here tell me otherwise it looks to be a program worth watching if and when it appears in its entirety at YouTube.
      It's very good! Keep checking for it on you tube DP- you would like this!
      Just watching it and paused it. He meets a period orchestra and they introduce and demonstrate the differences between modern and period instruments a horn and violin. I liked that. The horn sounded great! They also discuss how the opera singer can sing more effectively with period instruments.

The wording in the teaser doesn't suggest that Ronaldo doesn't know about period instruments, of course he does ( and he is very enthusiastic regarding them!)- but that he will introduce the viewer to them.

We also get to see some singers practising some scenes and the pianist is playing a fortepiano!!!

Maybe they really big on HIP in Prague.
      They also show some dances from the opera.
      I'd like to see Ronaldo in an opera one day!
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Ok that was superb! I realised it was about a rehearsal for a performance as much like the ones in Prague in Mozart's time as possible. They show the last scene done in period clothing, period lighting, sets and pyrotechnics at the end- it is great!! Candlelight is much better for that scary last scene than bright electric lighting of our day!
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention AH. A new YouTube search unearthed the entire program, which I watched. Not bad, though I think it too short to do many of the aspects it touches on full justice. But what ya gonna do?

I don't find the "old style" cast acting so very different from that seen in my favorite filmed performance of Don Giovanni, that recorded at the 1954 Salzburg Festival with a great cast backed by the Vienna Philharmonic under Furtwangler! I like that in this Prague production the Commandatore is made to look and emote reasonably like a statue, as does the Salzburg production but not a number of recent productions I've attempted to watch. Here, btw, is the Salzburg production cued up very near where the Prague performance excerpt begins. It does not include English subtitles and the uploader ruins the finale by ending the video 15-30 seconds before the piece ends. A second DG/Salzburg YouTube upload includes subtitles and a proper ending, but its video quality leaves much to be desired.
          Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 04-15-2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Can you post a link to that on YT please DP? I can't find it. Thanks.
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
              Can you post a link to that on YT please DP? I can't find it. Thanks.
              Mozart in Prague you mean? Sure. Here it be.

Comment

Thanks.
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                X