How we fell out of tune with the piano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How we fell out of tune with the piano

Thousands of pianos are being sent to the scrap-heap despite having the ability to still tug at our heartstrings, Paul Kendall discovers.

For a second, the JCB’s claw hangs in the air, a metal vulture waiting to swoop. Then, with a jolt, the giant yellow arm jabs forward and lands on top of the piano. Wood splinters and the instrument tips backwards, hitting the ground with a tuneless clang.

Its wooden casing breaks open, exposing its strings, and the claw delves inside to pick out the piano’s soundboard. Metal screeches on metal.

One leg flies off, another skids across the yard. Within five minutes, all that’s left is a pile of matchwood, an iron brace and a tangle of rusting strings.

This place, a recycling depot on the outskirts of Bristol, is just one site where pianos come to die. Similar scenes are taking place all over Britain as more and more owners send their instruments for scrap.

Piano-dealers, house-removal firms and manufacturers all confirm the trend.

It’s an ignominious end for something that — more than any other piece of household furniture — embodies years of family memories.

“Our customers sometimes get quite upset,” says Jon Kelly. “Pianos have often been passed through generations of one family and have great sentimental value. We’ve been on jobs where people cry when the piano’s taken away.”

On one recent occasion, says Mr Kelly, a husband had passed away. He was a musician and, although his piano would have doubled as the perfect monument to his life, his widow was moving to a smaller property and didn’t have the space to take it with her. “She was so upset she couldn’t watch when we took it away,” says Mr Kelly.

How sad...

Full article here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...the-piano.html
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

An interesting and indeed sad article. Still, with acoustic pianos having a finite useful lifespan, restoration costs prohibitive, and musical amateurism amongst the general populous greatly diminished from what it was some generations ago the move to far cheaper digital instruments, or no instrument at all, is understandable. (For what it's worth, I see waning amateurism as a significant contributor to the continued declining interest in classical music.)
    Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 02-27-2015, 01:11 PM.

Comment

And us piano teachers will confirm the trend - it is much rarer now to find a new pupil who does have a piano and I'm always pleasantly surprised if they do. Read what the great teacher Fanny Waterman has to say - http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-music-teacher
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Some years ago I recall speaking to a piano tuner, that this profession was on the decline, mostly on account of the digital pianos. Hopefully, it's only a fad that will eventually change.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
          An interesting and indeed sad article. Still, with acoustic pianos having a finite useful lifespan, restoration costs prohibitive, and musical amateurism amongst the general populous greatly diminished from what it was some generations ago the move to far cheaper digital instruments, or no instrument at all, is understandable. (For what it's worth, I see waning amateurism as a significant contributor to the continued declining interest in classical music.)
          You make very good points there DP. As you know I'm an owner of an old piano, which most people would ... (I can't even type it... )
          But if I get a windfall then Cecil will get restored ( if possible)- if not he will house my music books.
          As you also know I too, have had to go into digital. Privia is sweet though.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Some years ago I recall speaking to a piano tuner, that this profession was on the decline, mostly on account of the digital pianos. Hopefully, it's only a fad that will eventually change.
            Let's hope so Sorrano. I think a lot of the problem is the smaller houses/flats people are crammed into today. Digitals take up much less space.

But for those who want to be professional classical pianists acoustics only will do- even the top range digital pianos haven't the dynamics to practise/play at such a high level.
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              And us piano teachers will confirm the trend - it is much rarer now to find a new pupil who does have a piano and I'm always pleasantly surprised if they do. Read what the great teacher Fanny Waterman has to say - http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-music-teacher
              I found this very interesting:

She recalled Curzon telling her that he once had eight lessons just to perfect a single Beethoven chord. She said that was the kind of discipline she instilled in her students, arguing this was how great pianists achieved the most luminous sounds.
              That is dedication! Beethoven would approve!

So most of your students have digital pianos now then Peter?
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                I found this very interesting:

That is dedication! Beethoven would approve!

So most of your students have digital pianos now then Peter?
                No, I'd say most have pianos, but amongst the newer ones I think the keyboard is more usual and the results speak for themselves - I try to persuade parents to get a piano, especially if I sense the child has ability, but I appreciate space and money are important factors for parents.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  No, I'd say most have pianos, but amongst the newer ones I think the keyboard is more usual and the results speak for themselves - I try to persuade parents to get a piano, especially if I sense the child has ability, but I appreciate space and money are important factors for parents.
                  Well if space and money are issues then I recommend a digital piano and pianoteq software- that way you get some fantastic historical piano sounds (and modern piano sounds if that's your bag..)- so that way the student can play Mozart on a Walter fortepiano, Beethoven on a Graf, Walter or Broadwood, Chopin on a Pleyel etc.

When I heard it and tested the demo on my brother's Clavinova I was hugely impressed!

I think this combination is the best value for money.
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                  X