Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which recordings of the Beethoven quartets ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which recordings of the Beethoven quartets ?

The Strings quartets is the Beethoven
    compositions which I like best. Since I can not afford to buy every recordings, I would see if it is possible on this page to reach any consencus on which is advisable before I buy a new set.

To keep the debate clear I would advice that the participants distinguish between recordings of the early, middle and late quartets.

Originally posted by Joern Halvorsen:

To keep the debate clear I would advice that the participants distinguish between recordings of the early, middle and late quartets.

For Op.18 I'd go for Quartetto Italiano (Philips)

Op.59 1-3 /Op.74 Hungarian Quartet (EMI)

Late - Talich Quartet (Calliope)

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Joern Halvorsen:

I've quite liked the complete set done by the Emerson Quartet. They were featured a couple of years ago on PBS Radio (St. Paul's Sunday) and I was much impressed. Unfortunately, I can't compare them with other performers as my experience there is very limited.

Comment

I can't compare them with anything, but the Alban Berg quartet version of the late quartets is at least convincent.

Comment

Beethoven's "Grosse Fugue" is personally my favorite string quartet. It's one of his late quartets and probably most inovative, as it had considerable influence on the works of Stravinski. I wouldn't recommend it to a casual Beethoven listener, because it does more often than not challenge the listener with its incessantly playful dissonance, but the more I have listened to it, the more it has grown on me.

Comment

Try to find the very old BUSH QUARTET...

------------------
            Claudie
            Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by 18bman:
              Beethoven's "Grosse Fugue" is personally my favorite string quartet.
              The question has often come up on Fifteen-to-One: Q: Beethoven wrote how many String Quartets? A: 17.

I presume that they count the Grosse Fuge as a separate Quartet along with the other, complete 16, but this notion doesn't sit easily with me.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                The question has often come up on Fifteen-to-One: Q: Beethoven wrote how many String Quartets? A: 17.

I presume that they count the Grosse Fuge as a separate Quartet along with the other, complete 16, but this notion doesn't sit easily with me.

Aren't they counting the arr of the E major piano sonata Op.14 no.1 ?

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

I doubt they were refering to op14 which is not well known, but the fugue was officially published as an independent work, thus it is legitimately a quartet on its own.

------------------
                  "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                  http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

Ah, could be!! I shall write to William G. Stewart, forthwith!

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      I doubt they were refering to op14 which is not well known, but the fugue was officially published as an independent work, thus it is legitimately a quartet on its own.

I know that the Fugue was published in a four-hand piano arrangement, but I didn't know that it was printed as a string quartet in its own right.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
                        I know that the Fugue was published in a four-hand piano arrangement, but I didn't know that it was printed as a string quartet in its own right.

The deal was that Beethoven would compose a replacement finale for op130 and the fugue would then be published on its own, as op133.

------------------
                        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 02-22-2002).]
                        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Actually, I DID know this! I'm having one of those days..........

Comment

Working...
                          X