The Sonatas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sonatas

Recently I have been playing comparative versions of the Beethoven sonatas. I was surprised to find that I had seven complete cycles. No doubt more experienced posters and collectors are shaking their heads sadly and saying, “Only seven.” A recently acquired set has impressed me and the pianist is Yves Nat. Now I have to apologise in advance for any offence caused, but when I hear a Gallic pianist play the German repertory my expectations are not always of the highest. (Pause for splenetic fury to die down). However, despite the ropey sound of the recordings, which are not particularly old, I have been very impressed with his interpretations, not only of Beethoven but Schumann.
    I would be interested to hear others’ views of this pianist and his Beethoven interpretations.

Hello Michael - I suspect other members like myself are unfamiliar with Yves Nat so are unable to comment. Actually you have far more complete cycles that I do! I'm not a fan of complete cycles though I have some (notably Schnabel which is my historical benchmark), but inevitably with works as diverse as the Beethoven sonatas it is impossible to have an overall preference for one performer as one sonata will stand out from the rest as a particularly fine interpretation, whilst others will be disappointing.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
    X