Byron and Beethoven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Byron and Beethoven

Whilst working my way through the complete Beethoven and comparing performances over nearly a hundred years, my wife, who is something of a Byron stalker, asked me if there was a Beethoven/Byron connection. I had and have no idea. Byron was one of the most famous people in Europe and Beethoven outlived him by three years. Was Beethoven’s death in 1827 too early for the Byron myth that influenced so many composers from Schumann to Liszt to have had any impact on him? We know that Goethe was in the field of literature but is there any evidence of Beethoven showing a similar interest?

I am a Byron fan myself.
    I found this musical arrangement of Byron's poem by Beethoven. Lochnagar.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op2TAWXiUAg[/YOUTUBE]
    Last edited by Megan; 01-26-2015, 02:48 PM.
    ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Here's an article on "Beethoven, Byron, and Bonaparte". I only skimmed it, but what little I read seems interesting.

Comment

[QUOTE=Megan;67061]I am a Byron fan myself.
        I found this musical arrangement of Byron's poem by Beethoven. Lochnagar.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op2TAWXiUAg[/YOUTUBE]

Never heard that before- will listen later!
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Frederick View Post
          Whilst working my way through the complete Beethoven and comparing performances over nearly a hundred years, my wife, who is something of a Byron stalker, asked me if there was a Beethoven/Byron connection. I had and have no idea. Byron was one of the most famous people in Europe and Beethoven outlived him by three years. Was Beethoven’s death in 1827 too early for the Byron myth that influenced so many composers from Schumann to Liszt to have had any impact on him? We know that Goethe was in the field of literature but is there any evidence of Beethoven showing a similar interest?
          I have read about Beethoven's literary interests, but no mention of Byron- I expect he was sent the poem and knew nothing much about Byron- just as well- he wouldn't have been impressed with Byron's dubious morals! I don't know how notorious or well known Bryon was in Austria.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Here you go, its from 12 Scottish songs. no.9 Wo0 156

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRVtIpDnkBE[/YOUTUBE]
            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
              Here's an article on "Beethoven, Byron, and Bonaparte". I only skimmed it, but what little I read seems interesting.
              I saw that the other night but didn't read it. Just have now- pretty interesting yes.

I liked:

Later, with the Ninth Symphony and the Missa Solemnis, Beethoven achieved a heroism at once more personal and more ethereal. I say nothing here of the last Quartets, searing, unnerving, ineffable. Where Beethoven, one of Hegel's world historical individuals, ended up is a nonverbal equivalent of the philosopher's “absolute knowledge of the Absolute in its Absoluteness.”
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Byron and Beethoven

Thank you very much. My wife is especially looking forward to Byron, Beethoven and Bonaparte. Three of our joint heroes all in one article.

Comment

Working...
                X