How well would B and M have got on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How well would B and M have got on?

How well do you think Beethoven and Mozart would have got on if they spent longer with eachother? They met once and got on well....but I wonder what music we might have had! Maybe Beethoven might have been a bit too tempestuous for Mozart!They both agreed that simple themes were at the haert of great music.
    The Immortal beloved!!

Yes, imagine if Beethoven and Mozart had lived together. Each looking over the others shoulder for the next BIG thing. tehehe I can just hear them now...... 'That's my piece!!!'..... 'No,no, no, I've had this idea in my head for yeeears!!' We are most fortunate today to have the opportunity to enjoy all these composers, to let their music touch our hearts and souls, each in its own way according to the listeners needs and desires. For as many different hearts, ears, minds and souls that have been touched by L & M's music, there exists an equal number of interpretations. A remarkable thing happens when composers elevate someone, some thing, some event in their lives.........the whole world rises. I thank the spirit that inspired both these men. :-)
    Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by Tashibabes:
      How well do you think Beethoven and Mozart would have got on if they spent longer with eachother? They met once and got on well....but I wonder what music we might have had!
      It's not 100% certain that they did meet though I suspect that they probably did during Beethoven's first brief visit to Vienna in 1787. Their styles of piano playing
      were very different and I suspect, as with Haydn later, tensions in the master-pupil relationship would have come to the fore.

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        It's not 100% certain that they did meet though I suspect that they probably did during Beethoven's first brief visit to Vienna in 1787. Their styles of piano playing
        were very different and I suspect, as with Haydn later, tensions in the master-pupil relationship would have come to the fore.

Someone here wrote a while back to the point that since B's first trip to Vienna was specifically to meet and study with M, that the stories of their reported encounter are entirely plausible, and probably even probable. In other words, I certainly would like to believe the story about their meeting, and have no reason not to. But that's just me.

Now, with M's more 'rock star' sort of personality, at least based on how he's popularly portrayed these days, wouldn't he have been more likely to appreciate B than H was, over the long term, if they were to have spent time together?

Just musing...

NP: Not B, but Paert's Symphony 3 on Naxos.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
          It's not 100% certain that they did meet though I suspect that they probably did during Beethoven's first brief visit to Vienna in 1787.

It has been said that they did meet, because B wished to receive lessons from Mozart, and Mozart agreed to teach him, but he automatically had to return because of his mothers death.
          I personally think that Mozart would have apprecated B more than Haydn....Haydn was more of a stiff and rigid character who was insistent on sticking to the rules. For instance he lectured B on the third movement of the symphony, having to be a minuet, where as B wanted to change it to a scherzo.

The Immortal beloved!!

Comment

I think B was pretty much a loner and would not have gotten along too well with anyone for a long period. Mozart was much more of a social animal. I think there would have come a time during the teacher/student relationship where B would have decided he knew enough, or knew more, and there would have been a hot headed seperation. There would have been no further social contact.

The missing part I always lament is the fact that Mozart died before Beethoven's return to Vienna. What might have happened musically with these two greats competing for accolades and commisions in Vienna ? Especially if they were not getting along.
            Maybe Beethoven the student would have been the one to finish Mozarts masterpiece Requiem.

Steve
            www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by SR:

Maybe Beethoven the student would have been the one to finish Mozarts masterpiece Requiem.

Steve
              Now that's an interesting idea - just imagine! As it is, the only contributions Beethoven made to a Mozart work were the excellent cadenzas for M's D minor piano concerto.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

That really is an interesting idea! I wonder what the requiem would have been like....very passionate and dynamic I should imagine....not that it isn't already.
                The Immortal beloved!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen J. Wade:
                  Yes, imagine if Beethoven and Mozart had lived together. Each looking over the others shoulder for the next BIG thing. tehehe I can just hear them now...... 'That's my piece!!!'..... 'No,no, no, I've had this idea in my head for yeeears!!' We are most fortunate today to have the opportunity to enjoy all these composers, to let their music touch our hearts and souls, each in its own way according to the listeners needs and desires. For as many different hearts, ears, minds and souls that have been touched by L & M's music, there exists an equal number of interpretations. A remarkable thing happens when composers elevate someone, some thing, some event in their lives.........the whole world rises. I thank the spirit that inspired both these men. :-)
                  I gree with stephen! hehehe

------------------
                  freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Comment

Maybe they would have written both a lot of pieces for four hands !!!

------------------
                    Claudie
                    Claudie

Comment

Ah, but then who would have sat where? Schubert always sat on the left at the keyboard, allowing his lady pupils the "privilege" of hogging most of the melodic lines. My guess is that Beethoven would have sat on the left, offering ominous bass to Mozart's free-flowing tinkering, in the higher registers.

All of which musing gives me another idea for a topic............

Comment

Working...
                      X