Bye George!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bye George!

I don't want or expect this to develop into a lengthy thread, but I would like to pay tribute to the late George Harrison. I think he just about qualifies for a mention at this website because, after all, he was the Beatle who sang "Roll Over Beethoven"!

Michael
    (A fan of the four great B's)

Originally posted by Michael:
    I don't want or expect this to develop into a lengthy thread, but I would like to pay tribute to the late George Harrison. I think he just about qualifies for a mention at this website because, after all, he was the Beatle who sang "Roll Over Beethoven"!

Michael
    (A fan of the four great B's)
    Yes, Michael, as in "Get lost, Beethoven!" Written, of course, by Chuck Berry and originally sung by John, it was handed to George to bolster his lead vocal contributions. George was not the brilliant songwriter that Lennon and McCartney were, of course, but both Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley commercially recorded Something, but neither ever recorded a Lennon/McCartney song.

While our guitars gently weep. Hari Krishna.

Comment

Originally posted by PDG:
      both Frank Sinatra and Elvis Presley commercially recorded Something, but neither ever recorded a Lennon/McCartney song.

Nor a Schubert/Beethoven song!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Frank Sinatra once claimed that "Something" was the best love song written. The Beatles
        are President Bush's favourite rock group.
        Bye, George, we'll miss you.

Peace & Love
        'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Yes, Michael, as in "Get lost, Beethoven!" Written, of course, by Chuck Berry and originally sung by John, it was handed to George to bolster his lead vocal contributions.

The above is academic considering that of the many Chuck Berry songs the Beatles performed not one of them approached anywhere near the quality of the original. However the song also implies that Beethoven was in bed with Tchaikovsky - unless someone can identify another scenario where one person 'rolls over' to speak to someone else? Perhaps Chuck somehow got this idea off the internet in the '50s?

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 12-02-2001).]
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            The above is academic considering that of the many Chuck Berry songs the Beatles performed not one of them approached anywhere near the quality of the original. However the song also implies that Beethoven was in bed with Tchaikovsky - unless someone can identify another scenario where one person 'rolls over' to speak to someone else? Perhaps Chuck somehow got this idea off the internet in the '50s?

Well, actually, "roll over" in this context means "get outta here"; to wit: we now have rock and roll and we don't need no boring classical garbage no more!!

"Tell Tchaikovsky the news" is basically the same message: On yer bike, Pytor!!

Hare Krishna.

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
              Frank Sinatra once claimed that "Something" was the best love song written. The Beatles
              are President Bush's favourite rock group.
              Bye, George, we'll miss you.

Peace & Love
              Sinatra also called it the best song ever written by Lennon and McCartney!

Very learned man was our Frank.

Comment

Well, actually, "roll over" in this context means "get outta here"; to wit: we now have rock and roll and we don't need no boring classical garbage no more!!

Hare Krishna.

I always thought 'Roll Over Beethoven' meant Bethoven would roll over in his grave if he knew what music had become!

Comment

Sinatra also called it the best song ever written by Lennon and McCartney!

Very learned man was our Frank.

Yes,indeed, and quite the crooner too!

Comment

Hare Krishna.

No...you don't say?

Hartley Hare.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                      However the song also implies that Beethoven was in bed with Tchaikovsky - unless someone can identify another scenario where one person 'rolls over' to speak to someone else?
                      [/B]
                      It doesn't have to imply that they were bed-mates. They could, for example, be standing on the edge of a cliff ready to throw themselves off which would be a natural response to hearing Tchaikovsky's last symphonic movement!
                      .... but then, Tchaikovsky would already have heard the news, wouldn't he? This is getting very complicated - we'll have to get Maynard Solomon on it.....

Michael

Comment

Wouldn't have been much point in telling Beethoven the news.

Doris Hare.

Comment

the song also implies that Beethoven was in bed with Tchaikovsky - unless someone can identify another scenario where one person 'rolls over' to speak to someone else?

Well... If they have got a baby... we must find it out !!!

------------------
                          Claudie
                          Claudie

Comment

I have made a wrong thing : the first phrase of the further message is from ROD ! Only the second one is from Claudie of course !!!

------------------
                            Claudie
                            Claudie

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
                              I have made a wrong thing : the first phrase of the further message is from ROD ! Only the second one is from Claudie of course !!!

Of course, a nice girl like you would think of things like that!

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X