Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of my recent listening has again been confined to Brautigam's Mozart variations on CD, as well has various works performed clavichord or fortepiano at YouTube. I did, however, chance upon a fascinating tidbit from Cecil B. DeMille's 1915 (!) film adaptation of Carmen, starring opera legend Geraldine Farrar. Being a silent movie, we of course don't get to hear Ferrar sing. But the clip does contain a modern recreation of the music score that accompanied the film's premiere. As for ms Farrar, she's quite the looker and has a magnetic screen presence. My curiosity piqued, I found this sound recording of ms Ferrar singing the "Jewel Song" from Gounod's Faust. Captured in 1913, it's is pretty darn good considering the primitive recording equipment of the day.

Here's a bit from Carmen itself. No date for this one, but it almost has to be from no later than the teens considering its general sound and the substitution of woodwinds and brass for strings (which didn't register well with the old acoustical horn recording process) in the accompaniment.

ADDENDUM: During supper I heard disk one of Brautigam's Beethoven sonatas set (SACD).

ADDENDUM: Now Thursday morning, I ordered this CD as well as the Staier Diabelli CD from Amazon prior to going to bed last night.
    Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 01-08-2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I listened to disks four and five of Brautigam's Beethoven sonata set (SACD) during yesterday's two main meals. Heard disk six during today's lunch. Heard disk seven during supper.

Also heard were misc. clavichord / fortepiano related videos at YouTube.
      Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 01-09-2015, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Bruckner: Symphony no.5
        Dvorak: 'Cello concerto (B minor)
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven Op. 18 No. 4
          Schubert Piano sonata D.575

Comment

Maria Callas Rarities.
            Maria Callas Live in Paris 1958.
            Maria Callas in La Sonnambula 1957 live.
            Going to the Library and hoping to sign out Maria Callas at Juilliard.
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

During supper I heard yet again disk one of Brautigam's Beethoven sonata set. It is my first extensive exposure to opus 2 and 49, opus 2 no.1 being the only one of the lot I was at all familiar with. Brautigam makes a good case for these early works, and the fortepiano sounds "right". If forced to pick a personal highpoint it would be the finale movement of opus 2 no.3. Or maybe...

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
                During supper I heard yet again disk one of Brautigam's Beethoven sonata set. It is my first extensive exposure to opus 2 and 49, opus 2 no.1 being the only one of the lot I was at all familiar with. Brautigam makes a good case for these early works, and the fortepiano sounds "right". If forced to pick a personal highpoint it would be the finale movement of opus 2 no.3. Or maybe...
                Yes! the fortepiano is right!! Glad you liked the recordings DP.

As for me- listening to Heiliger Dankgesang at the moment- ah the Presto.!!
                Who can explain it?
                It is so mysterious and one feels things that words cannot explain.
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Listening to Beethoven's last two cello sonatas by Isserlis and Levin. These really are magnificent pieces. A little overshadowed, even though they are a staple of the modern repertoire.

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                    Yes! the fortepiano is right!! Glad you liked the recordings DP.

As for me- listening to Heiliger Dankgesang at the moment- ah the Presto.!!
                    Who can explain it?
                    It is so mysterious and one feels things that words cannot explain.
                    I've said it before, but the harmony at 14:12 is, in my opinion, the greatest chord Beethoven ever wrote. It is a chord of absolute tension release. I'm not yet entirely in tune with Ludwig's ironic sense of humour, so I always elect to briefly pause the music after this movement.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                      I've said it before, but the harmony at 14:12 is, in my opinion, the greatest chord Beethoven ever wrote. It is a chord of absolute tension release. I'm not yet entirely in tune with Ludwig's ironic sense of humour, so I always elect to briefly pause the music after this movement.
                      Yes. Dear Ludwig...how his music moves us! It is great to watch it being played.They are so good! Wish they had the whole piece on the vid though. The one I have downloaded is by The Borodin Quartet.
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

I heard some interesting classical music on the radio in the car today, but had to leave before it finished and so will never know what it was.

Been listening to La Sonnambula all day, including my new one with Eva Lind as Amina. Also Maria Callas, Mariella Devia, and Luba Orgonasova.
                        Last edited by Harvey; 01-12-2015, 01:04 AM.
                        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                        --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                          Yes. Dear Ludwig...how his music moves us! It is great to watch it being played.They are so good! Wish they had the whole piece on the vid though. The one I have downloaded is by The Borodin Quartet.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD5sSDARNqk

The DVDs are definitely worth a purchase.

Edit - It seems the uploader has uploaded all of the string quartets.
                          Last edited by hal9000; 01-12-2015, 02:06 AM.

Comment

A few of the Op. 108 Scottish songs to go with a very fine Springbank 10 year old Scotch I am enjoying tonight:

No. 3 - O sweet were the hours
                            No. 12 - Oh, Had My Fate Been Join'd With Thine
                            No. 23 - The Shepherd's Song

Comment

Bruckner again, no.7 this time!
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning:
                                Cambini: "Sinfonia Concertante" #5 in B-Flat

Comment

Working...
                                X