Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't felt well these past several days. (I'm doing better now.) In consequence I did little listening and recall less. The only thing that comes to mind is a CD called Armada: Music for the courts of Phillip II and Elizabeth I performed by the group Fretwork with Michael Chance counter-tenor.

Comment

Hope you get feeling better, DP.

This morning:
      Séverac: "Cerdanya"

Comment

What else today but this? The song is also known as "St Patrick's Day in the Morning".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK14X9Hpq-o

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          What else today but this? The song is also known as "St Patrick's Day in the Morning".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK14X9Hpq-o
          A fine choice! I'll be listening to WoO 152-154 throughout the day for sure.

Comment

Chopin Andante Spinato and Grande Polonaise Op.22 - I always think of the film 'The Pianist' when listening to this now as it features right at the end and is a remarkable testimony to one man's extraordinary courage.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
              Haven't felt well these past several days. (I'm doing better now.) In consequence I did little listening and recall less. The only thing that comes to mind is a CD called Armada: Music for the courts of Phillip II and Elizabeth I performed by the group Fretwork with Michael Chance counter-tenor.
              Hope you feel better soon DP. Not too well myself- cough and feel fluey, and to top it all, the gas boiler has stopped working yet again, so no heating or hot water.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
              Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

This morning:
                Haydn: Symphony #88 in G

If it weren't for Beethoven, Haydn would probably be my favorite composer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  This morning:

Interesting Sorrano, not many would say that but I agree he is underrated. Symphony no.88 is a joy!

Listening to Schubert Mass in Eb and Sibelius symphony no.3
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning:

This reminded me that I had been listening to Haydn symphonies before taking sick. Continuing on, during lunch today I heard symphony No.93 from Antol Dorati's Philharmonia Hungarica Haydn Symphony set, of which I own volumes two (57-64) and nine (93-104) on LP. I doubt I've listened to any of those LPs since the eighties or very early nineties. The performance sounded rather muffled at the high end. I suspect much but not all of this was due to my hearing rather than the recording. (Then too, my stylus hasn't been replaced in ages.)

Comment

This morning:

It would be between Mozart and Haydn for me. I might usually say Mozart, but not always, especially when I am in one of my Haydn-listening phases!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        It would be between Mozart and Haydn for me. I might usually say Mozart, but not always, especially when I am in one of my Haydn-listening phases!
                        I am also torn between the two of them for second place. Poor Haydn never seems to get the credit he deserves. I suppose he had the misfortune not to die young or go deaf.

Comment

During supper I listened to a CD containing Haydn's symphonies No.49, 58 & 59 performed by L'Estro Armonico under Derek Solomons.

Supper done, I returned to my computer and heard Adalbert Gyrowetz' "Symphony in D major" performed by the London Mozart Players under Matthias Bamert. Gyrowetz (also known as Vojtěch Matyáš Jírovec) lived a long life and wrote some sixty symphonies, quite a few of them in D. The poster neglects to mention when this particular work was composed, but it remains solidly "classical". Gyrowetz lived until 1850, but apparently stayed faithful to his classical roots to the end, which might account for his obscurity. In any case I rather enjoy the piece.

As to Haydn and Mozart, I too fluctuate between the two depending on mood and genre. The thing with Haydn is that so many of his better works are just sheer "fun" to listen to, a trait he shares, in my estimation, with Camille Saint-Saens.

Comment

This morning:
                            MacDowell: Romance, Op 35
                            Gilbert: "The Dance in Place Congo"

Haydn has been easy for me to like; Mozart, on the other hand, has not been. Not until I went through his complete piano concerti did I really gain an appreciation for his music. Recently, I've been listening to his violin sonatas and find that the lesser known and played works are some of the most interesting to me (such as the divirtimenti, etc.)

Comment

This morning:
                              MacDowell: Romance, Op 35
                              Gilbert: "The Dance in Place Congo"

Haydn has been easy for me to like; Mozart, on the other hand, has not been. Not until I went through his complete piano concerti did I really gain an appreciation for his music. Recently, I've been listening to his violin sonatas and find that the lesser known and played works are some of the most interesting to me (such as the divirtimenti, etc.)
                              Haydn was my first step into the world of classical music - one of a few classical lps in our house when I was a child was Haydn's symphony no.94 and I loved it instantly and played it incessantly, so he will always have a special place in my heart.
                              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                Haydn was my first step into the world of classical music - one of a few classical lps in our house when I was a child was Haydn's symphony no.94 and I loved it instantly and played it incessantly, so he will always have a special place in my heart.
                                My introduction into Classical Music was with Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven and left me with an indelible impression. The other night I heard Haydn's Symphony No. 88 and was totally taken by it's sheer joy.

Comment

Working...
                                X