Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got back from seeing Masaaki Suzuki conduct the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra in Mozart's Great Mass in C minor, Violin Concerto No. 5 (Augustin Hadelich), and overture to Don Giovanni. It was wonderful. Suzuki really knew what to do with this music, and the soloists were all excellent.

Comment

During lunch yesterday I heard disk two of Brautigam's Mozart sonata set, containing sonatas KV282-284. During lunch today I heard disk three, containing sonatas KV309-311. Of all these works I was most impressed by the final movement (presto) of KV283 (No.5 in G major).

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMeMOay3Y-o[/YOUTUBE]

I've just come back from seeing the Ninth!!! Was great- noticed more in it that I hadn't noticed before. Not this orchestra of course. I am now comparing a period performance to a modern performance...
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
          I've just come back from seeing the Ninth!!!
          What a wonderful experience!
          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
          --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I have been listening to the Cherubini opera, Lodoiska, which was an inspiration to Beethoven in his writing Fidelio. Lodoiska, like Fidelio, is a singspiel and so has a fair amount of spoken dialog. I was especially pleased to find that of the few recordings available of Lodoiska, there is a very good one featuring my favorite singer, Mariella Devia. It is a very nicely packaged set:
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
              What a wonderful experience!

Indeed so! I got up today, and it all feels surreal..I saw the Ninth!!! I have to say I thought the choir were very good. The conductor was Vasily Petrenko.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                I just got back from seeing Masaaki Suzuki conduct the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra in Mozart's Great Mass in C minor, Violin Concerto No. 5 (Augustin Hadelich), and overture to Don Giovanni. It was wonderful. Suzuki really knew what to do with this music, and the soloists were all excellent.
                Sounds a great night Chris!
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I begin listening at the start of meal preparation, which can take up to thirty minutes on those nights I cook up rice to go with my veggies and tuna, which I did yesterday. That, plus the meal proper, plus half a Fuji apple for dessert, plus brushing my teeth, plus my second medicated inhaler treatment of the day, plus a final gargle with mouthwash, lasts almost exactly as long as a full-length CD, give or take a minute or two.
                  Ah I see- you include the cooking time!
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Listening this afternoon to my pupils concert in preparation for their exams - pieces included:

R SCHUMANN No 26 from Album fur die Jugend Op 68
                    KABALEVSKY Kavaleriiskaya
                    GINASTERA Danza de la moza donosa
                    SCHUBERT Scherzo and Trio from sonata in A minor D.845
                    SCHUMANN Arabesque
                    GRIEG Sonata in E Minor, Op. 7: I. Allegro moderato
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

CD- Beethoven's Violin Concerto and Romances. I just read that the premiere of the Violin Concerto was not a success?! Were they nuts???? It is a great violin concerto!
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Beethoven. Nine symphonies conducted by Janos Ferencsik.

Comment

This morning:
                          Thomson: "The Plow that Broke the Plains" Suite (1936)

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                            Beethoven. Nine symphonies conducted by Janos Ferencsik.
                            All nine today Harvey? I managed the 7th!
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Mozart Violin Concerto no 3 played by The Hanover Band.
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                All nine today Harvey? I managed the 7th!
                                I am not doing focused lisening but wearing an ear bud. Only got through 1-5. Will do the rest later because my Teresa Berganza set just arrived (Brava Berganza! 4 CDs) and I can't wait to listen. But when I get back to the symphonies, #6 is next!

What a coincidence. The Berganza disc is in honor of Teresa's 70th birthday and today is her 80th birthday, the day the CD was delivered to me.

Also interesting is that when I went to buy this the prices on Amazon were pretty steep, but by googling for it I found it on ArkivMusic for half price and ordered from them. The return address is Naxos of America, but it is a Gramaphone label CD. Nice business if you can sell CDs and not carry stock because you can have the order shipped direct from the supplier.

By the way, there is a lot of good stuff on this set so here is a link to clips if anyone wants to check it out. CD1 is de Falla; CD2 is opera excerpts; CD3 is Italian Baroque arias; and CD4 is Spanish Songs.
                                Last edited by Harvey; 03-17-2015, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X