best Symphony 9 performance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best Symphony 9 performance?

Hi. I'm new here and I really enjoy the forum. I am looking for opinions on the best recordings of B's 9th. I tend to like quicker tempos. Is Gardiner the best way to go? I have heard Karajan's version and I particulary like the speed he uses, but I haven't heard many other versions. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Bthvn1:
    Hi. I'm new here and I really enjoy the forum. I am looking for opinions on the best recordings of B's 9th. I tend to like quicker tempos. Is Gardiner the best way to go? I have heard Karajan's version and I particulary like the speed he uses, but I haven't heard many other versions. Thanks in advance!
    Gardiner is in the right direction, though in his recording of the ninth the Scherzo is a touch lame and the adagio lacks something as well. On the other hand he plays the scherzo trio and the march in the finale much quicker than usual, which is a good thing.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
      Gardiner is in the right direction,

I'm surprised you didn't go the whole hog and point him straight to Hanover (band)!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:

I'm surprised you didn't go the whole hog and point him straight to Hanover (band)!

Well, the points i mentioned where Gardiner gets it right, the HB get it not so right. Though overall I prefer the HB version, and my Gardiner set is gathering dust. Regarding the 9th alone I could not give a single wholehearted recommendation.

------------------

Comment

The best renditions of ANY of the symphonies are by Hermann Scherchen, IMO. Gardiner has no soul, and his remarks on Leonore and other Beethoven-related issues shows that he knows very little about the inner Beethoven. All you can say about Gardiner is that he plays fast. So does Scherchen. But Scherchen has a depth and intensity that Gardiner lacks. You can find his things around, usually on eBay, although Deutsche Grammophon claims they will reissue his pieces eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by AlteGrafin:
            All you can say about Gardiner is that he plays fast. So does Scherchen. But Scherchen has a depth and intensity that Gardiner lacks. You can find his things around, usually on eBay, although Deutsche Grammophon claims they will reissue his pieces eventually.
            Hermann Scherchen was renowned for some of the quickest interpretations of the Symphonies ever - let's hope DG get round to it soon!

------------------
            'Man know thyself'
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hermann Scherchen was renowned for some of the quickest interpretations of the Symphonies ever - let's hope DG get round to it soon!

I've never heard of this Scherchen chap, I presume these recordings are quite old? Considering the number of ancient recordings that labels regurgitate to save money I suppose it's only a matter of time until these are re-released. Why Phillips hasn't re-released the more recent set by Frans Bruggen and the Orchestra of the 18th Century is a mystery to me.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
                I've never heard of this Scherchen chap, I presume these recordings are quite old? Considering the number of ancient recordings that labels regurgitate to save money I suppose it's only a matter of time until these are re-released. Why Phillips hasn't re-released the more recent set by Frans Bruggen and the Orchestra of the 18th Century is a mystery to me.
                This comes as a surprise to me. My first experience with Scherchen was a performance of Messiah that I thought was terribly slow. The next was Christ on the Mount of Olives, which, too, I thought was slow. I've not had much desire to experience more, but if his symphonic interpretations are more lively I am willing to give him a listen again.

Comment

I'll go whole hog in Rod's place and recommend the HB set, for $25-35 US (assuming the original poster's in the US, being the assuming American that I am), it is just too good of a deal to pass up.

I do this because the HB 9th is an interesting study for me to date. I have several other modern 9th recordings, and they're all generally in the same vein with each other: large, modern orchestras; tempos generally the same.

The HB 9th, however, is fascinating to me. Especially the various tempi of the 4th mm't. Fast, then ssslllooowww, then fast, then slow, then fast, but all with such instruments as I haven't heard before. Very well worth the investment, for the whole set of symphonies, Missa, and ovetures such as they are for the price of two or three regular non-bargain priced discs. I've grown to not like the tonal properties of the recordings as much as other recordings I have...when played LOUD in the car as I do for so much of my listening these days...but the musicianship, scoring, and everything...I find myself wondering if these are played to actual, authentic B scores, because it's so much more *musical* than what I'm used to.

There's more to this whole 'period instrument' business than what we layman have been led to believe, I think. I'm intrigued. Now for some concerti recordings...

Comment

Originally posted by NickB:
                    I'll go whole hog in Rod's place and recommend the HB set, for $25-35 US (assuming the original poster's in the US, being the assuming American that I am), it is just too good of a deal to pass up.
                    [/B]
                    Details: http://www.allegromusic.com/online_c...ag=NIM3MVP1760
                    offers the $25 price, which is better than what I got with my set.

Basically, having bought this set now, I see it as invaluable to any B music collector, especially as a first foray into period instrument recordings, which SHOULD be important to a B enthusiast. 7 discs for $25-35 US is just ridiculously inexpensive, for the quality of the recordings over all.

Though, I personally like the Gardiner Missa better, after only one listen to the HB Missa. FWIW. The Overtures are interesting to hear by a period orchestra to, being so familiar from modern orchestra recordings.

If I haven't said enough already, the HB is well, WELL worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by NickB:

Though, I personally like the Gardiner Missa better, after only one listen to the HB Missa. FWIW. The Overtures are interesting to hear by a period orchestra to, being so familiar from modern orchestra recordings.

If I haven't said enough already, the HB is well, WELL worth the money.
                      I have the Gardiner Missa as well, which is by and large excellent, but the Kirie is somewhat emotionally detached whereas with the HB it is perfect. Also the sound is a little warmer and more colourful on the Nimbus disk. Occasionally the brass are less than perfect with the HB recording but i can live with it. Both recordings are to be recommended but overall I'm swayed by the Nimbus sound.

Regarding the tone, it is the tone that is the main selling point of period instrments as far as I am concerned. I have great difficulty listening to modern instrument recordings these days, considering I have the majority B's works on period instruments.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 02-20-2002).]

Comment

Working...
                      X