Favorite of these 6 Beethoven Symphony Cycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite of these 6 Beethoven Symphony Cycles

These are the cycles I have, but I can't rate them yet because one is still in the mail. Still I am curious what your picks for favorite or favorites of these six is, and your thoughts on other Beethoven symphony cycles. My inclination is towards faster paced and I am quite comfortable in that respect with Wand and Szell, but find Walter a bit slow.
    Bruno Walter
    0.00%
    Gunther Wand
    33.33%
    George Szell
    33.33%
    Rene Leibowitz
    0.00%
    Jos van Immerseel
    0.00%
    Hanover Band
    33.33%
    Last edited by Harvey; 12-19-2014, 04:13 AM.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

My favorite set is Toscanini with the NBC Orchestra.

Comment

I have not heard all the sets in the poll, but among the ones I have, Szell is my favorite. Szell is possibly my favorite set of all, maybe behind David Zinman, whose set I think you would also enjoy if you like faster paced.

Comment

Bruggen and Haitink!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

The Hanover Band!
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

I own none of these conductors' complete Beethoven symphony sets. I do own three disks of Wand Beethoven symphonies and think very highly of them. I own one of the Hanover disks but recall nothing of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
              I own one of the Hanover disks but recall nothing of it.
              You'll have spin that disc to refresh your memory.
              "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

I don't own any of those cycles except for The Hanover Band, which I really like. My go to cycle is Gardiner's. I know some aren't really fond of his tempos, but I find his interpretations brimming with energy, and that's how I like my Beethoven. His 9th is maybe a tad too fast, though. Outside of that, I'm constantly listening to Katsaris' Liszt's transcriptions of the symphonies, which shines a whole new light on the pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                  I don't own any of those cycles except for The Hanover Band, which I really like. My go to cycle is Gardiner's. I know some aren't really fond of his tempos, but I find his interpretations brimming with energy, and that's how I like my Beethoven. His 9th is maybe a tad too fast, though. Outside of that, I'm constantly listening to Katsaris' Liszt's transcriptions of the symphonies, which shines a whole new light on the pieces.
                  I like John Elliot Gardiner too. He did a great tv documentary on JS Bach- it is on you tube.
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                    You'll have spin that disc to refresh your memory.

Indeed DP does!

Their 5th is amazing...
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

The Hanover Band? Does anyone have a link or something? No idea what or who they are.

Comment

I have several cycles, Zinman, Furhtwängler, Böhm, Masur. I have heard the Gardiner series years ago and wonder why I never bought them. As Hal an Aeolian, and as I have written elsewhere on this site, I am a fan of Gardiner (just bought the 30 CD celebration box), so it may as yet happen.
                        On the whole, though, I doubt there ever will be the perfect box coming from one source, and besides, who would want such a thing to exist? I have about 13 versions of the Fifth and nearly all of them have something for themselves and against themselves. It is fascinating how different interpretations can appeal to the same person. What is important is that the music tells a story and that it's coherent. Gardiner is brilliant in that way... and I see some new generation people coming up in the same league: Andris Nelsons or Daniel Harding, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
                          The Hanover Band? Does anyone have a link or something? No idea what or who they are.
                          They are HIP performers Albert. Here is their website:

http://www.thehanoverband.com/

Some of their recordings are on you tube.
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I never did get the Immerseel set. They sent the wrong disc. Then I ordered it again a couple weeks ago from a different seller and got the same wrong disc. So instead I ordered the Bernstein New York Philharmonic set that includes the violin concerto. Also ordered a Monteux set of symphonies 1,3,6,& 8.

Comment

My choice has been and always will be Herbert von Karajan.
                              "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Working...
                              X