New Karajan documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Karajan documentary

Fascinating new insight into Karajan - a week left to watch!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04tfvwp
    'Man know thyself'

Saw it last night. Very interesting but I don't think I would have liked to be a member of "Herbie's Band" as James Galway always called the Berlin Phil.
    I have two sets of Karajan's recordings of the Beethoven symphonies. He was pretty good with the 5th and 9th but should not have been left anywhere near the 6th!

Comment

I was just about to post this but you beat me to it Peter! I am just watching it now (paused to post this and hang out the washing ).
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Saw it last night. Very interesting but I don't think I would have liked to be a member of "Herbie's Band" as James Galway always called the Berlin Phil.
        I have two sets of Karajan's recordings of the Beethoven symphonies. He was pretty good with the 5th and 9th but should not have been left anywhere near the 6th!
        I loved it when they were talking about the Karajan films - how he insisted any bald men had to wear wigs but they were never seen anyway as the cameras were always on Karajan - and then they asked someone if they thought Karajan was a vain man!!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          I loved it when they were talking about the Karajan films - how he insisted any bald men had to wear wigs but they were never seen anyway as the cameras were always on Karajan - and then they asked someone if they thought Karajan was a vain man!!
          I have one DVD of Karajan conducting B's ninth and all you can see 95 per cent of the time is Karajan's face (and not even his eyes as he kept them closed). I might as well put on a CD and look at a photograph!

Comment

He seemed a difficult character allright- more "difficult" than dear Beethoven in some ways lol. I can't see Beethoven being bothered about bald heads or wigs- I doubt he'd even have noticed that sort of thing!
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

This is a well done documentary. I quite enjoyed it.

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              There is, by the way, and hour long documentary specific to Karajan's video output. It can be found at YouTube as "Herbert von Karajan - Maestro of the Screen".

I prefer honest concert tapings with equal time given the conductor, long shots of the orchestra, sectional closeups, individual players when appropriate, and occasionally instrument highlights such as Karajan's films provide in abundance. But I think Karajan's classical "music videos" have their place too. I doubt that any recording company these days could afford to produce them, or would care enough to try.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              I have one DVD of Karajan conducting B's ninth and all you can see 95 per cent of the time is Karajan's face (and not even his eyes as he kept them closed). I might as well put on a CD and look at a photograph!
              I'm guessing you have the DG video? I own the earlier filmed EuroArts DVD, which is much more (maybe entirely) a true concert performance taping, without much gimmickry. I quite like it as a film and an interpretation.

Comment

Working...
              X