Beethoven: Seventh vs. Eighth Symphonies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven: Seventh vs. Eighth Symphonies

Interesting commentary on the two symphonies here.

So I am wondering, the most popular Beethoven Symphonies are 3, 5, 6, 7, and 9? Or would 7 not fit in the list. 1, 2, and 8 particularly seem to get little respect. The article I posted indicated the 8th was viewed as a throwback to an earlier style, so maybe a better fit with 1 and 2?
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

No.4 and No.8 are generally the most over looked - goodness knows why! The 8th is my favourite Beethoven symphony and anything but a throwback - Beethoven couldn't have written a work like that in 1800, it has many pointers to his late music, especially the fantastic finale.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

I guess 4 is overlooked partly for it's being sandwiched between two MONUMENTAL symphonies. Eight was said to have lost out for having been debuted too close on the heels of the 7th. But that should not matter now when a person picks up a symphony cycle and gives each an objective listen. According to a multiple choise poll I started yesterday on another site and with 29 votes in for favorite Beethoven symphonies 4 and 8 are running slightly ahead of 1 and 2, but trailing considerably behind 3,5,6,7,and 9 (percents are of total voters):

First
      5 votes 17.24%

Second
      6 votes 20.69%

Third
      18 votes 62.07%

Fourth
      10 votes 34.48%

Fifth
      20 votes 68.97%

Sixth
      18 votes 62.07%

Seventh
      19 votes 65.52%

Eighth
      8 votes 27.59%

Ninth
      17 votes 58.62%
      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I agree with Peter, the 8th has those idiosyncratic peculiarities of mature Beethoven. It's as much a throwback as the last string quartet is, i.e., it's deceivingly scaled down and not as "grand" as its siblings, but it isn't lacking in imagination or creativity.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          No.4 and No.8 are generally the most over looked - goodness knows why! The 8th is my favourite Beethoven symphony and anything but a throwback - Beethoven couldn't have written a work like that in 1800, it has many pointers to his late music, especially the fantastic finale.
          The 4th and the 8th are great indeed. But then all his symphonies are top notch.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
          X