Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beethoven March on a fortepiano with sound effects!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven March on a fortepiano with sound effects!

Have I treat for you all!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OjYKvl5raM[/YOUTUBE]

Beethoven’s March Op.45 No.2 in E flat, 1803, played on an 1815 fortepiano that has awesome sound effects! Yes, the “drum” really is part of this stunning piano!

And it is usually assumed that pianos didn’t have sound effects until the 20th century with the advent of digital pianos….

As you will see the piano has 7 pedals!!! This type of pedal system is called a janissary.

Turkish March music like this piece by Beethoven was popular in the late 18th century and early 19th century, so this pedal system was designed to create band sound effects such as drums, bells, cymbals, and triangles which are controlled by the pedal.

See wikipedia for more information on these pedals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_p...anizary_pedals
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Yes, interesting devices.

AeolianHarp, given your interest in fortepianos, you should look into some CDs of rare Beethoven works played by Steven Beck on Monument Records. He uses a fortepiano on a couple of them, employing such effects. Look for a disc called "Military Music For Piano" - it includes Beethoven's piano version of Wellington's Victory, using these kinds of devices for the cannons. It also contains marches and some other pieces.

Comment

I don't know if I've clicked on the right link, but the piece being played is not Opus 45, No. 2. I've never heard it before but I had to go through YouTube to get it so it may be the wrong video.

Incidentally, I have a recording (off-air) of Beethoven's own arrangement of the "Battle Symphony" played on a piano with similar attachments.

Last edited by Michael; 11-17-2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        Yes, interesting devices.

AeolianHarp, given your interest in fortepianos, you should look into some CDs of rare Beethoven works played by Steven Beck on Monument Records. He uses a fortepiano on a couple of them, employing such effects. Look for a disc called "Military Music For Piano" - it includes Beethoven's piano version of Wellington's Victory, using these kinds of devices for the cannons. It also contains marches and some other pieces.

Sounds good Chris.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I don't know if I've clicked on the right link, but the piece being played is not Opus 45, No. 2. I've never heard it before but I had to go through YouTube to get it so it may be the wrong video.

Incidentally, I have a recording (off-air) of Beethoven's own arrangement of the "Battle Symphony" played on a piano with similar attachments.

Blimey you are right Michael! I will find out what piece it is! It does sound like Beethoven's though.

I have been frazzled so my mind isn't on the ball!

I am glad some of you appreciate these cool fortepiano sounds.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

What an amazing instrument, and seven pedals. WOW!, I have enough trouble with one.

Comment

I'd love that piano! It is a beauty isn't it!
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
              X