X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florence Foster Jenkins

I can't wait to see this:

http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/...inger-jenkins/

If you have never before heard this lady sing, I take no responsibility for the consequences:

I have heard stories about this lady. In music theory classes, when we discussed perfect pitch references to her often surfaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
      I have heard stories about this lady. In music theory classes, when we discussed perfect pitch references to her often surfaced.
      She always did hit the right note. (At least once in every performance).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        She always did hit the right note. (At least once in every performance).
        But was it at the right time and place?

Comment

Her counterpart in pop music was the horrendous Mrs Miller. If you haven't heard this before, you are lucky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw07CDid0JM

It actually made the Billboard Hot 100 in 1966!

Last edited by Michael; 10-27-2014, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I've a long acquaintance of madam Jenkins' "art". My first exposure occurred during high school. Our band director played excerpts from her "The Glory (????) of the Human Voice" album in a class offered to the more gifted music students, a combination of music appreciation, history, theory, composition and so on. Several years later I bought the LP. One of my favorite ancedotes about her comes from the back of that LP. I quote:

"After a taxicab crash in 1943 she found she could sing 'a higher F than ever before.' Instead of a lawsuit against the taxicab company, she sent the driver a box of expensive cigars."

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
              "After a taxicab crash in 1943 she found she could sing 'a higher F than ever before.' Instead of a lawsuit against the taxicab company, she sent the driver a box of expensive cigars."
              Probably the brand she smoked herself, judging by the sound.

Comment

Working...
              X