"Carmen" Cancelled! No Smoking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Carmen" Cancelled! No Smoking!

A production of "Carmen" has been cancelled because the opera is set in a cigarette factory.
    Maybe "Fidelio" should be banned. After all, it's set in a prison and might have a bad influence!

http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/...motes-smoking/

Wait, that isn't The Onion.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
      Wait, that isn't The Onion.
      That was my first thought. But I'm afraid it's true. (It's not April Fool's Day either. )

Comment

I'm not surprised, though I would have thought bull fighting a more likely reason!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hmmm, I can think of a few operas, then, that should be canceled because of murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
            Hmmm, I can think of a few operas, then, that should be canceled because of murder.
            In the story, you mean? Or by the conductor?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              In the story, you mean? Or by the conductor?
              That depends on if the audience is the victim. If so, then by the conductor and maybe a couple of performers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                That depends on if the audience is the victim. If so, then by the conductor and maybe a couple of performers.
                I'm more inclined to accuse the Stage Directory of murder. But then I'm biased against the "modernized" stagings so prevalent these days. As to Carmen, I've no problem with its being set in a cigarette factory, despite being a life-long non smoker who avoids second-hand exposure like the plague.

Comment

Working...
                X