Discovering Beethoven - Michael Tilson Thomas discusses the Eroica symphony

Discovering Beethoven - Michael Tilson Thomas discusses the Eroica symphony

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dcQx0fU3IY[/YOUTUBE]
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

I thought you were going to post this.

Comment

I have seen this documentary. It is very interesting and entertaining, but unfortunately it's in parts, which breaks the flow of the lecture.

Comment

Just finished it, and he goes into greater depth than in the link I posted above. Nothing I didn't already know but I found it enjoyable enough to watch. I have to agree with clefrowns in the comment section when (s)he says, "This is good but Robert Greenberg is a better storyteller." I've already mentioned on this fourm how much I treasure his 32 lectures on the Beethoven symphonies, because of just how much they opened my ears to Beethoven's music (and classical music in general). I think it is saying something that I have watched the lectures three times now (each lecture being 45 minutes long) and found them enjoyable and interesting to watch each time. He has also has done lectures on the piano sonatas and string quartets, but I prefer his rather more laid-back approach to speaking in his earlier lectures on the symphonies where he reads off his notes rather than a prompter, and where he doesn't try to cram in a quota of pop references and bad jokes (though I do still enjoy them ).

Comment

Another good short introduction to the "Eroica" on the Gramophone website (part of a weekly series):

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/...mariss-jansons

Comment

Thanks for the links folks! Yes shame about the parts Grace.
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
            X