Jan Swafford's "Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jan Swafford's "Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph"

I finished the book yesterday morning. Took me long enough! Partly due to prolonged illness. Partly from the lengthy listening marathons it sometimes triggered. (I'm not one to listen and read at the same time.)

I think quite highly of it. Swafford's strong points are, for me:
    • His ability to blend Beethoven's many virtues and sometimes-glaring deficiencies as a human being into a believably convincing whole.
    • His blending of man and musician. This is the best book I've read at explaining how B's personal philosophies and day-to-day circumstances affect his musical output.
    • His discussion of select individual works. These are often insightful and fascinating. Those with little to no formal music training have little to fear. Swafford confines himself mainly to prose. Yes, there are occasional printed music excerpts. But nowadays one can easily visit YouTube and hear what he refers to, if necessary.

I prefer Swafford over the recently read Suchet. Not that I find anything wrong with Suchet. (That Suchet intentionally confines himself to Beethoven the man can be seen as either a plus or minus. I had no problem with it.) Truth to tell, I favor Suchet's treatment of certain individual episodes. But by and large, Swafford's far greater length (roughly 950 pages plus exhaustive appendix compared to Suchet's 370 pages plus short appendix) allows us to better understand what made Beethoven tick...in so far as that's even possible.

In any case, I recommend the book for anyone looking to expand their Beethoven library.
    Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 09-16-2014, 01:00 PM.

I hope Swafford doesn't perpetuate the Antonie Bretano lies like Suchet and that swine Solomon?

His ability to blend Beethoven's many virtues and sometimes-glaring deficiencies as a human being into a believably convincing whole.
    Well the main "deficiency" really that I can see was his hot temper- but imagine what it was like for him- being a genius and in crippling pain a lot of the time, unable to digest his meals well, and then idiot lazy servants who laughing at him when he was composing and stealing from him, is it hardly surprising he blew his top? It would take a saint not to.
    And stating the obvious- the anguish regarding losing his hearing...

But you know reading his letters and accounts by people who knew him, as well as friends, despite this temper, I can see that he was truly a genuine, good man who had a big heart.
    Last edited by AeolianHarp; 09-16-2014, 12:14 PM.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Putzing around on the net this morning I discovered that Google Books provides extended excerpts from this work. I am pleased to see that they begin in the midst a discussion of early Beethoven non-musical influences which I found particularly fascinating while reading the entire book last year. Lots of food for thought here, with Swafford's masterful writing style in evidence. (For some reason my link begins near the excerpts' end. Don't forget to scroll up to experience it all. Also, different excerpts appear if one searches for it with different criteria.)
      Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 05-01-2015, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I looked up the Google excerpt and read about the episode of the farmer's daughter. This came into John Suchet's semi-fictional trilogy and I always assumed it was invented! Fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I looked up the Google excerpt and read about the episode of the farmer's daughter. This came into John Suchet's semi-fictional trilogy and I always assumed it was invented! Fascinating.
          I have just read that. I can't imagine Beethoven "ogling", but admiring a woman's beauty yes. Bit mean to call him "unhandsome" as well. He had an individualistic, noble look about him, and his portraits from his early 30s show a good looking man to me. Even when he was older he had a noble, distinguished look. I suppose as he never spoke ( maybe too shy? or didn't want to disturb her work) to Fraulien Leise ( so it is said- maybe he said good morning to her who knows...) and as she didn't know who this mysterious German guy was, she got fed up with him. Maybe she wanted him to come over and chat! But fair play to him for trying to help her father, even though that didn't go down well with the villagers.
          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 05-01-2015, 04:41 PM.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

If anyone can read German, I also recommend Jan Caeyers' Beethoven biography. Being from Antwerp, I read it in Dutch, but unfortunately, so far, it has not been translated into English yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
              If anyone can read German, I also recommend Jan Caeyers' Beethoven biography. Being from Antwerp, I read it in Dutch, but unfortunately, so far, it has not been translated into English yet...
              Yes, a few good books/articles in German on Beethoven haven't been translated into English I have heard.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Regarding the Liese anecdote- the source of this was Franz Grillparzer, who said this happened in Dobling. He said that Liese hadn't a good reputation, seemingly it seems for "slovenliness" like her father, but she was "very pretty." She would "rouse" Beethoven to "fury" by either mocking him or ignoring him, then he would quickly leave, but return to stand by her gate the next time.
                A very strange story. I wonder how true it actually is- Grillparzer was a child at the time.
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                X