Can anyone identify this piece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone identify this piece?

I have recieved an e-mail asking help identifing a piece. Here is the text of the e-mail:

"I have been trying for more than 1 year to get a Beethoven's piano score described in an old record I have as "Abschied vom Klavier (Waltz in F major)". The record is titled as "Os Clássicos Mais Populares do Mundo, Vol. 2" (The World's Most Popular Classics, Vol. 2). There is no indication of opus number or any other reference and nobody seems to know this piece. Somebody has sent me an album with the scores of 15 Beethoven's waltzes but no one of them is the piece I am looking for. Can you help me? I will send you this message again with a score showing a few bars of the main theme."

http://www.gyrix.com/unknown.jpgHere</a> is the score he sent. I'm not really sure what this might be. I thought it might be Anh 14, No. 5 he was talking about, but that doesn't seem to match the score. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Chris:
    I have recieved an e-mail asking help identifing a piece. Here is the text of the e-mail:

"I have been trying for more than 1 year to get a Beethoven's piano score described in an old record I have as "Abschied vom Klavier (Waltz in F major)". The record is titled as "Os Clássicos Mais Populares do Mundo, Vol. 2" (The World's Most Popular Classics, Vol. 2). There is no indication of opus number or any other reference and nobody seems to know this piece. Somebody has sent me an album with the scores of 15 Beethoven's waltzes but no one of them is the piece I am looking for. Can you help me? I will send you this message again with a score showing a few bars of the main theme."

http://www.gyrix.com/unknown.jpgHere</a> is the score he sent. I'm not really sure what this might be. I thought it might be Anh 14, No. 5 he was talking about, but that doesn't seem to match the score. Any ideas?
    This piece is often known as "Farewell to the Piano" and has been attributed to Beethoven, although recently I believe that it was discounted that he wrote it. I was going to raise the question here if anyone knew who actually wrote it if it wasn't written by Beethoven. I have two or three copies of this and all are attributed to him. It's a nice piece for beginning piano students.

Comment

Interesting. I'll pass that information along to him, thanks.

Comment

I think this piece is an arrangement by Diabelli, for solo piano and piano duet, of an unfinished string quintet in C, composed immediately before Beethoven's death.
        Try The Unheard Beethoven website and listen to a MIDI of the piece (it's WoO 62) and see if that is the music you have been hearing. Part of it is described as a short Polonaise in binary form with repeats.
        Michael

Comment

Now I come to think of it, that doesn't sound like a waltz, does it? Check it out, anyway.
          Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael:
            I think this piece is an arrangement by Diabelli, for solo piano and piano duet, of an unfinished string quintet in C, composed immediately before Beethoven's death.
            Try The Unheard Beethoven website and listen to a MIDI of the piece (it's WoO 62) and see if that is the music you have been hearing. Part of it is described as a short Polonaise in binary form with repeats.
            Michael
            I checked this out--WoO 62 are String Quintet fragments. I'm not sure that is what you meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:

I have no idea about this peice

------------------
              freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

Any ideas?

Abschied vom Klavier is another name for the Waltz in F "Glaube, Liebe und Hoffnung" which was published by Crantz in Berlin in 1838 as "Abschieds-Gedanken" and later by Boosey in London as "Beethoven' Adieu to the Piano, being his last composition".

The Kinsky-Halm catalogue mentions the piece as Anhang 15 (p.728)

Comment

Chris, you can reply to your 2002 email now.

Comment

Thank you, Roehre! I've always been curious about the authenticity of this piece.

Comment

Working...
                    X