Free online music study course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free online music study course

Starting on 25th September, The Curtis Institute of Music, via Coursera is offering the following:

From the Repertoire: Western Music History through Performance

Explore eight important works from different eras and genres of Western classical-music repertoire, through performances recorded at Curtis and discussion of each work’s historical context, composer, musical significance, and compositional design.
    About the Course

A survey of music history begins with those works that convey the artistic trends, innovations, and compositional techniques representative of their time. This course will look at key works by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Schoenberg, and Crumb, brought to life by audio or video recordings by Curtis students, alumni, and faculty. Accompanying lectures explore the historical context, composer, musical significance, and compositional design of each work. Guest interviews offer special insight into performance, improvisation, and contemporary composition. In-person and online sessions with the faculty members are being planned.

Life-enrichment learners and amateur musicians will be encouraged to engage in global online discussions about the music, as they sharpen their listening and descriptive skills. Multiple-choice quizzes will reinforce lecture material. Optional peer-graded assignments guide learners through the process of listening, researching, and writing to create their own program notes.
    Course Syllabus

The first week offers an historical overview as a starting point. The remaining six weeks examine specific repertoire, with recordings of performances by Curtis students and alumni provided online. Lecture videos explore the era, the composer, and the piece, from both music history and compositional design perspectives.

Syllabus:

Week 1: A Brief History of Notation

Week 2: J. S. BACH, Chaconne

Week 3: HAYDN, String Quartet in C major, Hob. III:32, and MOZART, String Quartet in B-flat major, K. 589

Week 4: BEETHOVEN, Grosse Fuge in B-flat major, Op. 133

Week 5: BRAHMS, Two Songs, Op. 91, and Trio in E-flat major, Op. 40

Week 6: SCHOENBERG, Pierrot lunaire

Week 7: GEORGE CRUMB, Voice of the Whale

I did this last year, though I didn't do the assignments. I don't like Schoenberg, so unless there is an assignment on his "music" I will leave that out- already saw that video lecture!

I am doing this mainly to study the Grosse Fugue in more depth. I want to do the assignment on it this time (if there is one- I cannot remember). They have changed some assignments from last year. I hope they made the one on the Chaconne easier- that was hard and I didn't attempt it as I didn't connect with the Chaconne- but I will try harder with it this year.
    I am also looking forward to looking more closely at Haydn and Mozart's music.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten
Working...
X