This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highlights from recently heard music:

Mendelssohn Octet, complete. I linked a performance of this work's final movement (presto) in our recent Mendelssohn thread. Since then I discovered this rendition, accompanied by a presentation of the full score. The opening movement is marvelous. If push comes to shove I admit to considering it the gem of the piece, despise my love of the finale. At any rate the first movement receives a stellar interpretation here, possibly the best I've heard. The other movements come off well too, though for my taste the last movement sacrifices a bit of musicality for speed. Here I prefer the Mendelssohn thread link, despite that ensemble being insignificantly less technically perfect.

I listened to two excerpts from works of Franz Schreker, an extract from his Chamber Symphony and the final few minutes of his opera "Der ferne Klang". I know next to none of his output. If these two brief chips are any indication, it's worth thorough investigation. (His Wikipedia entry is quite fascinating, btw.)

I listened to this performance of the master's fourth piano concerto.

I listened to this performance of the first concerto. If forced to nit-pick, I suppose I prefer more prominent tympani. But who's nit-picking?

Originally posted by Timmy P View Post
    Today I was listening to the Symphony 7, as well as the Pastoral Symphony 6 (my fav atm), and my current favorite Piano Sonata...the Waldstein.

Right now I will be listening to the Arch Duke Trio. (I am a noob who is totally infatuated w/ the life and works of Heir Beethoven. Please help my passion grow. ty (tim or (Timmy) if you like me.
    Welcome aboard TP! Hope you enjoy your stay with us!

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Listening to Brahms symphony no.4
    Are you familiar with this rehearsal clip (more a run-through in my opinion) of Furtwangler from 1948? It's about as exciting a finale as I know, despite less than stellar sound.

Comment

Working...
    X