Clear All

Archduke Trio.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
      Archduke Trio.
      After my sad Beethovenian lapse of a couple of days ago, back on the straight and narrow:
      Dvorak's "American" Quartet played by the Juilliard String Quartet. (At last, something one can hum - not like those awful Razumovskys )

Comment

I revisited yet again the Jasper Quartets' performance of Op.59 No.3. This time round I grew to appreciate their finale more so than in past hearings. I'm still uncomfortable with that movement's beginning. The cellist's initial entrance doesn't seem quite in sync to me.

Also heard was Andras Schiff's lecture-recital on sonata No.28, a favorite of mine.

Comment

EROICA ON PERIOD INSTRUMENTS!!!!!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6JtVCYIPYw[/YOUTUBE]
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I think you will enjoy Jordi Savall's Eroica, Aeolian.

Comment

Listening to and watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OQgFr5m8e8. I always enjoy smalin's videos, and I read that he's going to be posting all of Beethoven's late string quartets (he has already posted Op 135, the Grosse Fuge and the Heiliger Dankgesang).
              Last edited by hal9000; 09-28-2014, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Beethoven. Violin concerto.
                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Thus far this morning I have listened to the first two lectures in Robert Greenberg's Wagner Ring series.

After that I again returned to the Jasper Quartet's rendition of B's Op.59 No.3. Yes, I heard it only yesterday. What can I say? I like the third Razumosky. A few minor forgivable live performance quibbles aside, the Jasper is now my favorite interpretation of the opus. Besides, it's a good recording with which to experiment with various control panel settings as I attempt to restore my computer's audio quality to what it was prior to reinstalling Windows 7.

ADDENDUM: Just finished listening to/watching a performance of the Op.130 quartet, ending with the Grosse Fuge, performed by the American String Quartet, as part of the same WQXR series in which the Jasper's do Op.59 No.3.
                  Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 09-28-2014, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Sibelius symphony no.6
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
                      I think you will enjoy Jordi Savall's Eroica, Aeolian.
                      Is it played on period instruments?
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                        Is it played on period instruments?
                        Yes and it seeks to replicate the exact forces used at the first private Lobkowitz palace performance, so the orchestra is very small and great clarity of sound is achieved. However you have to remember that only a few years later at the public performance at the Theater an der Wien, a much larger orchestra was used so HIP performances can be a little misleading.
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Brahms One.
                          (Beethoven Nil)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Brahms One.
                            (Beethoven Nil)
                            It should be Bruckner 0

Listening to R.Strauss Orchestral songs - I originally bought this as a Cassette tape of the 4 last songs with Jessye Norman - the other earlier songs on this recording such as Morgen and Wiegenlied are equally beautiful.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQP01pJQA7s[/YOUTUBE]
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                              It should be Bruckner 0
                              Peter, you beat me to that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                                It should be Bruckner 0

Didn't Bruckner have a double O as well? Was he licenced to kill?

Comment

Working...
                                X