This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
    I too enjoy the fortepiano in works for which it is appropriate. I tried listening to your link this afternoon. Sadly, a minute or so in my computer locked tighter than a drum. I'll try again later tonight. (What little I heard was quite enjoyable.)
    I hope your computer behaves itself so you can hear this whole sonata DP! Mine needs more RAM so it often has problems and shuts itself down.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Oh, and DP and Hal- the best Hammerklavier performance I have ever heard is Ronald Brautigam on fortepiano- it is simply incredible! You can find this on you tube.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

As to Schiff, I listened to that lecture-recital this morning, along with five additional interpretations of movement one. When he proclaimed the coda a miracle my eyes rolled. Not that I disagree with his assessment. It just seems to me that every lecture includes Schiff declaring the sonata in question, or some part of it, Beethoven's most outstanding achievement. I now treat such utterances as something of a running joke. (But again don't discredit them. I greatly enjoy those lectures I have heard. The man knows his business, and has an infectious enthusiasm.)
        Oh, I agree. He does tend to speak in absolutes and often waxes poetical, but like you, I do love his his love for Beethoven and his music. I wouldn't call the coda a miracle, it's just a rather charming end to the movement.

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post

"He had, as we have seen, very little understanding of men, and it is probable that he had even less of women." (p 171)

I think it is quite the opposite!

I haven't read it thoroughly, but that's a rather big oversight IMO, especially when discussing the spirituality of a composer whose music speaks to many. At least it's not as bad as when some call him misanthropic. I did notice some inaccuracies when reading, and like Schiff, he can be a bit hyperbolic at times, but it still makes for an interesting read.

Oh, and DP and Hal- the best Hammerklavier performance I have ever heard is Ronald Brautigam on fortepiano- it is simply incredible! You can find this on you tube.
        I already own it thanks to you

Comment

Gardiner's Missa Solemnis from the Proms is on the iPlayer for anyone interested.

Comment

Bellini - La Sonnambula. A wonderful opera.
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I hope your computer behaves itself so you can hear this whole sonata DP! Mine needs more RAM so it often has problems and shuts itself down.
              My computer behaved itself last night. I heard the Haydn in its entirety. A lovely piece, as is much of Haydn's output. It reminds me that I possess three LPs of Haydn piano sonatas performed by Gilbert Kalish, not heard since the early eighties if then. (I wouldn't be surprised if your sonata is amongst them.) I supposed I'll have to give those disks a spin in the near future.

Speaking of Haydn, here's a brief clip of Leonard Bernstein encoring a performance one of my favorite symphonies, Haydn's 88th. Some accuse Bernstein of "showboating" here, but I see it as an act of respectful tribute to the orchestra (VPO). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU0Ubs2KYUI

On matters peripherally Beethoven, here's Mauro Giuliani's "Gran Sonata Eroica in E-flat Op.150" for guitar. It's an excellent piece marred only, in my opinion, for want of a more decisive ending. As to the connection with Beethoven, the two are fairly contemporary (1781-1829 for Giuliani) and, according to Wikipedia, Giuliani participated as cellist (?) in the first performance of Beethoven's seventh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncuBEwwM4Io

I'm listening to Brautigam's Hammerklavier at the moment. I attempted to find it earlier, but kept misspelling his name in YouTube's search bar. Such is the life of an imbecile.
              Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 09-06-2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

At last! Been waiting for this! Will watch tomorrow.

EDIT- I just looked up the orchestra- oh WOW! Historically informed performers!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchest..._et_Romantique

I hope someone puts this on you tube so I can download it!
                Last edited by AeolianHarp; 09-06-2014, 11:59 AM.
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

My computer behaved itself last night. I heard the Haydn in its entirety. A lovely piece, as is much of Haydn's output. It reminds me that I possess three LPs of Haydn piano sonatas performed by Gilbert Kalish, not heard since the early eighties if then. (I wouldn't be surprised if your sonata is amongst them.) I supposed I'll have to give those disks a spin in the near future.

Speaking of Haydn, here's a brief clip of Leonard Bernstein encoring a performance one of my favorite symphonies, Haydn's 88th. Some accuse Bernstein of "showboating" here, but I see it as an act of respectful tribute to the orchestra (VPO) by giving it it's head. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU0Ubs2KYUI

On matters peripherally Beethoven, here's Mauro Giuliani's "Gran Sonata in E-flat 'Eroica' Op.150" for guitar. It's an excellent piece marred only, in my opinion, by want of a more decisive ending. As to the connection with Beethoven, the two are fairly contemporary (1781-1829 for Giuliani) and, according to Wikipedia, Giuliani participated as cellist (?) in the first performance of Beethoven's seventh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncuBEwwM4Io

I'm listening to Brautigam's Hammerklavier at the moment. I attempted to find it earlier, but kept misspelling his name in YouTube's search bar. Such is the life of an imbecile.

Hello DP- I am glad you liked Haydn's wonderful sonata. I have put it on my mp3 player.

Thanks for your links- I shall look at them tonight- I am just off out to visit relatives.

I'd be interested to read what you thought of Ronald's playing- I have heard many recordings of Hammerklavier and he just is far far above them all to my ears.
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I hope someone puts this on you tube so I can download it!
                    Use get_iplayer.

Comment

Beethoven, Concert n. 5

Comment

Today I watched/heard the entirety of Herbert von Karajan's "music video" of B's seventh symphony. I think it a fine standard interpretation, easy to live with. I've mixed feelings about the video presentation. I struggled to formulate my thoughts on Karajan's (video) approach, then stumbled upon an interview in which Sir Simon Rattle discusses that very topic, expressing my views almost to the letter: http://youtu.be/5ceXbC9SF1E?t=7m47s

I watched/heard the recent Thieleman/VPO seventh. I especially enjoyed the middle two movements, less so the finale.

Having experienced Karajan and Thieleman, I decided to end my seventh mini-marathon with the finale as performed by Tafelmusik (a period instrument ensemble) conducted by Bruno Weil, an old favorite that never fails to please: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFUK1LZsmVU (The audience seems to enjoy it as much as I do.)

Having read about "An die Hoffnung" -- the song secretly dedicated to Josephine von Brunswick but published sans dedication -- in Suchet, Swafford, and several internet articles, it suddenly dawned on me that I had never heard it. Problem solved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C29BaBBPGUI

ADDENDUM: I forgot to mention that I listened to the Chailly/Leipzig symphony eight in its entirety (YouTube, audio only). I began listening to the Diabelli Variations, which I've not heard in years, but abandoned the effort due to listener fatigue.
                        Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 09-07-2014, 06:09 PM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrEAiayJ5o

Beethoven: Sonata 21 op. 53

Comment

Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony" - and his even more beautiful No. 5 (my favourite).

Comment

This morning I extended my mini-sixth marathon, watching / listening to Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen / Paavo Jarvi and Radio Kamer Filharmonie / Philippe Herreweghe. I liked both. If forced to choose between the two, I'd settle on the Herreweghe. I do wish Herreweghe's trombones had more presence during the last movement.

Having experienced those, I took my own link to the Bruggen sixth finale, to again hear trombones (and trumpets) as I like them. This go round, I realize I began the clip in the poor spot...still in the storm, right where the trombones play their loudest. Without the buildup leading to that point they sound over loud, even to me. Heh.

Between postings, I visited four or so Missa Solemnis performances. Didn't hang around long. Missa is one of my Achilles Heels. I've never taken a shine to it. (I own Bernstein / COA on LP.) It shares that dubious honor with the opening movement of Mahler's eighth symphony. As with Beethoven, I dearly love all Mahler's numbered symphonies including the tenth, either completed or as Mahler left it. But I just can't quite see the big deal about the eighth's opening. O well, maybe someday.
                              Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 09-09-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I am in a near-endless loop of continually listening to Bellini's La Sonnambula. What a beautiful opera in every way, the music, the solos, the choruses.
                                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                                --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Working...
                                X