This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mendelssohn Symphonies 1, 4, and 5.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Wow, my Hanover Band Beethoven set arrived today and at first I was disappointed that someone had written on the first disc in black marker, but (guess who this must be):

This is very timely as I have been listening to Mendelssohn's 1, 4, and 5th symphonies since Thursday. Now it will be Beethoven's nine, the Missa and the overtures.

I see Monica also signed the back of the insert booklet.
      Last edited by Harvey; 10-27-2014, 09:43 PM.
      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Brahms

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NClrNNk6zqo&index=31&list=UUFpz7e2hzpGVx1i JdlE50DA[/YOUTUBE]
        🎹

Comment

This performance is so amazing and the 'Franz Liszt Chamber Orchestra is brilliant too.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x3EbbDTSLo#t=107[/YOUTUBE]
          Last edited by Megan; 10-28-2014, 05:28 PM.
          🎹

Comment

This morning I visited the WQXR YouTube channel and watched more of their Beethoven string quartet series. My pick of the litter is the Parker Quartet playing Op.18 No.3. Not quite an interpretation for the ages, but darn good. I could contentedly live with it on CD/DVD. I attempted Op.18 No.6 as played by the Amphion Quartet but was not overly impressed. I watched/heard the Celicia Quartet play Op.59 No.2 and enjoyed it well enough.

While there I heard yet again the Jasper Quartet's rendition of Op.59, No.3. This performance never fails to move me. I remain bothered by the first several bars of the cellist's initial entry in movement four, but otherwise consider it ideal.

Originally posted by Megan View Post
            This performance is so amazing and the 'Franz Liszt Chamber Orchestra is brilliant too.
            <snip>
            This is quite impressive!, as were several other performances by this young artist I watched at YouTube.

Comment

This. It is a wonderful Beethoven symphony cycle.
              It will not likely replace my Gunter Wand cycle but
              will have a place right alongside of it. And the Missa Solemnis
              in this set is beautiful too.
              Last edited by Harvey; 10-31-2014, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Had a bit of a treat this morning on the way in to work. The trick was trying to identify the composer, which was Hummel. The treat was hearing the first movement (most of it) and a part of the second movement of his third piano concerto. There were several places that I was reminded of Beethoven's first and third concerti; it's a very nice work.

Comment

Friedrich Gulda's fine set of the Beethoven piano sonatas. Gulda was also a jazz pianist and rather unpredictable. This is the same man who, with his girlfriend, appeared on stage naked for a rendition of Schumann songs on the recorder!

Comment

Today I was listening to the Symphony 7, as well as the Pastoral Symphony 6 (my fav atm), and my current favorite Piano Sonata...the Waldstein.

Right now I will be listening to the Arch Duke Trio. (I am a noob who is totally infatuated w/ the life and works of Heir Beethoven. Please help my passion grow. ty (tim or (Timmy) if you like me.

Comment

Not sure what a 'noob' is but Welcome aboard Timmy.

Listening to an incredibly lovely piece by Mozart.

Playing: Divertimento in D major (KV 136) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
                      Mozart Chamber Orchestra.

Last edited by Megan; 11-01-2014, 06:59 AM.
                      🎹

Comment

Welcome, Timmy!

This morning caught a bit of the second movement of Beethoven's second symphony. Now, I cannot get the tune out of head, but I don't really mind. It makes for a right nice earworm.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy P View Post
                          Today I was listening to the Symphony 7, as well as the Pastoral Symphony 6 (my fav atm), and my current favorite Piano Sonata...the Waldstein.

Right now I will be listening to the Arch Duke Trio. (I am a noob who is totally infatuated w/ the life and works of Heir Beethoven. Please help my passion grow. ty (tim or (Timmy) if you like me.
                          Welcome Timmy - you'll find plenty of people here who share your passion for Beethoven!
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Listening to Brahms symphony no.4
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Halfway through the Hanover Band Beethoven symphony cycle. Swicthing off between Beethoven and Mendelssohn symphony cycles.

Just started watching my Meistersinger (Wagner) DVD, about 40 minutes in last night and had to go to bed. Wanted to keep watching.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf7gjBKao-I[/YOUTUBE]

What do patrons think of this version, does anyone have the music to it?
                                🎹

Comment

Working...
                                X